• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello

lisamb21

Hello my name is Lisamarie my tegu is maz. So far I have had her for about three weeks now. She is a year old I believe. So far she is showing a lot of trust when it come to being petted and wanting to coming out on her own. The only thing I’m working with is her getting used to me picking her up. Other than that she is doing amazing.
2B03A934-04B3-42A7-8E24-CBA398AF5A21.jpeg

lisamb21

Very pretty animal! Loving that bask!
She ran away after I took the picture. But my pug helped me get her. We got our pug to track lizards if they get out. So far she is showing good trust but still won’t let us pick her up. I don’t know what to do.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
If she's a year old, then she's prob in Tegu puberty. There are so many comments about "guberty" on this forum - it's very common. The once calm even loving animal is now full of hormonal frenzy, and is figuring out it's purpose in life. Normally this is a good thing in the wild because they need to defend themselves, and be aggressive. When they're in a captive environment, all that energy is just aimed at it's owner. Patience is the key, and keeping your animal safe during this time is super important.

Huffing-puffing, spitting, charging, running for the hills....this is all normal. There is nothing wrong with your sweet lil bug, but he/she has to go through this. There's no way around it, other than keeping things calm so as not to escalate the situation. Try to enjoy it in some way - it can be a little comical...all this tough guy stuff. They're trying to find their way while enclosed - you seem to be the only threat at this time, so they take it out on you.

Be careful about your dog's behavior too - they can determine that they're in charge and change their behavior toward this unruly animal in the house. I've had a pug (omg...love pugs....game time!!!) and it's not likely that they'll start to think they are responsible for reining in this little monster, but you never know. If I know pugs, he/she will create a game to play with your Tegu that your Tegu will have no idea that it's participating in. Lol

Right now, it's FIND THE TEGU!!!!!

lisamb21

If she's a year old, then she's prob in Tegu puberty. There are so many comments about "guberty" on this forum - it's very common. The once calm even loving animal is now full of hormonal frenzy, and is figuring out it's purpose in life. Normally this is a good thing in the wild because they need to defend themselves, and be aggressive. When they're in a captive environment, all that energy is just aimed at it's owner. Patience is the key, and keeping your animal safe during this time is super important.

Huffing-puffing, spitting, charging, running for the hills....this is all normal. There is nothing wrong with your sweet lil bug, but he/she has to go through this. There's no way around it, other than keeping things calm so as not to escalate the situation. Try to enjoy it in some way - it can be a little comical...all this tough guy stuff. They're trying to find their way while enclosed - you seem to be the only threat at this time, so they take it out on you.

Be careful about your dog's behavior too - they can determine that they're in charge and change their behavior toward this unruly animal in the house. I've had a pug (omg...love pugs....game time!!!) and it's not likely that they'll start to think they are responsible for reining in this little monster, but you never know. If I know pugs, he/she will create a game to play with your Tegu that your Tegu will have no idea that it's participating in. Lol

Right now, it's FIND THE TEGU!!!!!
The pug has been trained around lizards so she knows how to act. I slowly let them meet so she knows. And for maz thing have to be on her times. I can sit in her encloser and she will let me pet her and that. It’s when she’s out that she has a hissy fit. Or when it come to outing her back. I have don’t a lot of reach on them but so far everything I have read or watched doesn’t match up to her and her attitude.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi