• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello

WaterRaven

Hey everyone.

Longtime animal handler and educator here. I grew up in Florida originally, so it's no surprise that as an animal lover, I'm a huge reptile fan.

My first real experience with reptiles was in university where I volunteered at a herpetarium. The animals there were primarily kept for genetic studies. Students at the university would breed the reptiles to get different morphs and then the animals were sold by the professor and volunteers at expos. So it was kind of neat in that it was a breeding facility but also utilized by students. None of the animals were tested on, it wasn't that kind of facility. The students just got to produce cool morphs for their projects and labs :)

As a volunteer I got to handle, feed, collect the eggs and live-born babies, and of course clean, clean, clean. I loved it. Our largest animal was a common boa and she was just lovely.

Later I moved into wildlife rehabilitation. I worked for a rehab center until I graduated from university. After I graduated and moved home, I became an outreach educator for a not for profit--and that's where I got to work with my first tegus! The facility had quite a few reptiles for outreach, but the black and white tegus were my favorite. The red tegu was a sweetie too, but the b&ws stole my heart. I worked with a water monitor as well and she was a wonderful creature.

I ended up switching careers after working for the not for profit and left the animal field for a while, but I really miss working with reptiles and am ready to have my own and here I am :)

I'm planning on getting my first at-home tegu and wanted to make sure I was up to speed with the current knowledge on proper housing and husbandry.

So hello and thanks for taking the time to read :)

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome. At least two highly reputable tegu sources in FL. While it is legal to keep tegus in Fl and the SE, be very careful it does not escape.

WaterRaven

Sounds like you have some interesting experiences. Welcome here! Lots of information contained within these pages and members.

Thank you! I've been cruising around and will make sure to keep on reading ^_^

Welcome. At least two highly reputable tegu sources in FL. While it is legal to keep tegus in Fl and the SE, be very careful it does not escape.

Thanks so much. I'm actually located in Canada now! That's the reason my animal career kind of bounced around. I moved from Florida to Ontario, Canada, down to Ohio, and back to Canada. We moved following my father's career. I've since graduated, gotten married, and finally have a more stable life for a large reptile :)

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

Thanks so much. I'm actually located in Canada now! That's the reason my animal career kind of bounced around. I moved from Florida to Ontario, Canada, down to Ohio, and back to Canada. We moved following my father's career. I've since graduated, gotten married, and finally have a more stable life for a large reptile :)
Should be fun!

EnjoysWine

Hey, sounds like you live relatively close to me. I'm in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada. Nice to see another Canadian here!

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hello from the Uk .... sounds like you've had some great experiences and should make a worthy parent to a lucky gu ...:D:D

WaterRaven

Coincidence . . . We get our hatchling today as well. Do you know the source/breeder of yours? Ours is from the breeder Xtreme Exotics in Ontario.
Mine is a rehome. I am not sure where her owner got her. The owner sold her because they didn't have time for her anymore and she'd outgrown her enclosure.

She's settling in nicely. She's eating, pooping, and starting to shed now. She's already figured out that she just needs to climb on to my arm if she wants to come out :) Just love these guys <3

I hope your baby is doing well!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny