• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello, new here and have an Ameiva question.

Darkebane

I have recently Recieved an amevia from someone local to me, who was looking to rehome.
They were informed it was a "blue Ameiva".
I cannot find any info on blue ameivas, so I was wondering if someone here could help me to identify which species of ameiva this is.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: Re-uploaded the pictures in a smaller size. Didnt realize they were so big.
Ameiva1.jpg
Ameiva2.jpg

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh, that’s easy. An Ameiva belongs to the same family as tegus. They even explore and poke with their noses.

You have what used to be known as Ameiva ameiva ameiva, blue phase giant ameiva. A. a. petersi was the green-phase giant ameiva. Recently, it was elevated to its own species, Ameiva bara..... Right off, I forget the full name but it is well-established in S. Fl. Basically, keep as a 2.5 ft tegu. However, much of its food will be crickets, roaches, and such.

Darkebane

Oh, that’s easy. An Ameiva belongs to the same family as tegus. They even explore and poke with their noses.

You have what used to be known as Ameiva ameiva ameiva, blue phase giant ameiva. A. a. petersi was the green-phase giant ameiva. Recently, it was elevated to its own species, Ameiva bara..... Right off, I forget the full name but it is well-established in S. Fl. Basically, keep as a 2.5 ft tegu. However, much of its food will be crickets, roaches, and such.

Thank you Very much.
I have a custom enclosure built for her(i think?), 4x3x2, Ive added pictures to the gallery,
I am in canada, So roaches are an issue for me.
She also seems to prefer meal worms, but i could like to find something a little more substantial then those. Any Suggestions?
DSC_0255.JPG
received_10214990958356077.jpeg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thank you Very much.
I have a custom enclosure built for her(i think?), 4x3x2, Ive added pictures to the gallery,
I am in canada, So roaches are an issue for me.
She also seems to prefer meal worms, but i could like to find something a little more substantial then those. Any Suggestions?
View attachment 12407
View attachment 12408
Mealworms aren’t the best. Heavily-dusted crickets are good. Once it knows you, frozen/thawed pinks will be taken from the end of forceps if you jiggle it. You might consider a big order of dubias if possible and feed with ithe food until they’re gone, etc.

Darkebane

Mealworms aren’t the best. Heavily-dusted crickets are good. Once it knows you, frozen/thawed pinks will be taken from the end of forceps if you jiggle it. You might consider a big order of dubias if possible and feed with ithe food until they’re gone, etc.
Roaches are illegal in canada. Cant get them in sadly.
Ive been feeding mealies, Crickets, Trying supers, but she doesnt seem to even look at them.
Also ive read they sometimes like fruit?
What kind of fruit, and how should i prepare it?
I am also doing research as i read your replies.
Thank you again.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Roaches are illegal in canada. Cant get them in sadly.
Ive been feeding mealies, Crickets, Trying supers, but she doesnt seem to even look at them.
Also ive read they sometimes like fruit?
What kind of fruit, and how should i prepare it?
I am also doing research as i read your replies.
Thank you again.
You’re welcome.

I didn’t know roaches were illeagel. That is too bad. So the goal is to find some nutritious invert. Perhaps light-attracted bugs and grasshoppers in fields that are clean in the summer? Earthworms? Some fruit that is sweet, like ripe strawberry, may be appreciated.

Darkebane

You’re welcome.

I didn’t know roaches were illeagel. That is too bad. So the goal is to find some nutritious invert. Perhaps light-attracted bugs and grasshoppers in fields that are clean in the summer? Earthworms? Some fruit that is sweet, like ripe strawberry, may be appreciated.
We are just outside city limits, but there are no reason for pesticides in the local area.
We get a lot of moths, in the summer, not many grasshoppers in this area of canada.
Earthworms are no issue, i can get them from a local supplier, and then start a worm farm myself(Did it as a kid for fishing bait lol).
What about wood lice?(isopods). im going to be adding some as a cleaup grew since the enclosure will be bioactive, but wondering if she will eat them.

And yes it sucks that Roaches are illegal in canada, especially this province. Its never Very warm here so i cant see the dubias being able to breed.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We are just outside city limits, but there are no reason for pesticides in the local area.
We get a lot of moths, in the summer, not many grasshoppers in this area of canada.
Earthworms are no issue, i can get them from a local supplier, and then start a worm farm myself(Did it as a kid for fishing bait lol).
What about wood lice?(isopods). im going to be adding some as a cleaup grew since the enclosure will be bioactive, but wondering if she will eat them.

And yes it sucks that Roaches are illegal in canada, especially this province. Its never Very warm here so i cant see the dubias being able to breed.
Not sure about wood lice. Either way, worth adding.

Zyn

That sucks I got 30 dubia last year fed off extra males and bam the colony is now around 200 and growing a simple plastic bin and a heat pad under the bin. It sits next to my tegus enclosure.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That sucks I got 30 dubia last year fed off extra males and bam the colony is now around 200 and growing a simple plastic bin and a heat pad under the bin. It sits next to my tegus enclosure.
I find thinning the herd benefits colony growth.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The species you have is Ameiva praesignis, the Borriguerro Ameiva!!!!!!

Darkebane

The species you have is Ameiva praesignis, the Borriguerro Ameiva!!!!!!
You seem quite excited about that. I'm guessing it's a good thing?
She seems pretty happy in her new home.

Attachments

• DSC_0273.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0275.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 18

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members