• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello from Fl - newbie owner, I need some advice

Smurph89

Hey everyone happy to be a member and proud baby dinosaur owner! I got my Argentine black and white tegu 4 days ago and so far she will not eat anything iv tried everything from ground turkey, mealworms, chicken livers cut up and even crickets. Her hot side is around 100 and her lowest temperature side is around 78. My other concern is she is a feisty one and has not realize that me and her are going to be best friends yet! If I try and come close she will 180 tail whip me and has even given me a nice little bit I never pull away even when she bit me so she doesn’t start to think her lil show will make me leave her alone. Should I not try and pick her up and just slowly work with her and hopefully when she starts eating tongue feed her and get her to climb out of the enclosure on my hand on her own? Or should I pick her up and get her in a routine of being handled? I have a ton of exotic pets but I can tell she is going to be my biggest project ever and I am all about it I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome. Check out the threads here. You're experiencing typical behavior by any tegu that's been moved to a new home. They seem OK for a day, realize their wold is now different, and hide for 1-2 weeks.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Your temps sound good for a young one, but I'd just say that patience is hard for all new owners! We all want to hold them, and bond immediately. Honestly, not sure I've ever heard of that happening! (or it's very short-lived...Lol) They all have their temperaments and some are feistier than others. Hopefully, you'll read up on some threads about new owner Tegu behavior, and realize that slow and steady wins the heart.

Let him lead, but don't let him take advantage. Don't reward bad behavior - that's really important because they're smart and will learn, eventually living by your terms as much as they can.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced