• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello everyone

TripleTegus

Hey guys long time tegu fan first time owners here. Wife and I acquired what I believe is a 1.2 set but haven't had them sexed yet. Came across this forum doing some research and seems like everyone here is really helpful in answering most questions so I figured I'd join myself. Looking forward to sharing our experiences with you guys and seeing yours as well.

Attachments

• 20191212_204019_062_saved.jpg
    20191212_204019_062_saved.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 25
  • 20191212_182526.jpg
    20191212_182526.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8580.jpg
    IMG_8580.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Triplets! I admire your courage! They can be very worth your time. Don't know if this will help you or not, but my male grew about twice as fast as my female. His jowls came out fairly quickly, (prob at 5-6 months if I remember correctly) whereas my female just grew at a very slow pace, showed no jowls or growth there.

Maybe that will help if they're not all the same sex! Good luck!

TripleTegus

Triplets! I admire your courage! They can be very worth your time. Don't know if this will help you or not, but my male grew about twice as fast as my female. His jowls came out fairly quickly, (prob at 5-6 months if I remember correctly) whereas my female just grew at a very slow pace, showed no jowls or growth there.

Maybe that will help if they're not all the same sex! Good luck!
Yeah what can I say we're gluttons for punishment. I do believe that we have one male and two females but have not had that confirmed. They are just the newest additions we have several other reptiles and arachnids already but I must say the tegus are probably my favorites. I've wanted one for quite a few years and finally gave in to temptation.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah what can I say we're gluttons for punishment. I do believe that we have one male and two females but have not had that confirmed. They are just the newest additions we have several other reptiles and arachnids already but I must say the tegus are probably my favorites. I've wanted one for quite a few years and finally gave in to temptation.
It is exhilarating - no doubt about it. Make sure to keep us updated - I've never had that many at one time. Good luck

TripleTegus

It is exhilarating - no doubt about it. Make sure to keep us updated - I've never had that many at one time. Good luck
Yes I can't wait to watch them get big it's definitely exciting to say the least. And definitely plan to post lots of pictures through out the experiences. Looks like you have a gorgeous looking blue from what I can see from the thumbnail anyways.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Yes I can't wait to watch them get big it's definitely exciting to say the least. And definitely plan to post lots of pictures through out the experiences. Looks like you have a gorgeous looking blue from what I can see from the thumbnail anyways.
The picture is from my male when I got him almost 2 years ago. (Skully) He's a B/W Argentine. Here's an updated picture of him, now at 48". The female with him is also from the rescue guy in Florida, and she's a cutie. (Captain)
20191118_130823 (2020-01-06T23_37_36.976).jpg

20200106_161203 - Edited.jpg

TripleTegus

The picture is from my male when I got him almost 2 years ago. (Skully) He's a B/W Argentine. Here's an updated picture of him, now at 48". The female with him is also from the rescue guy in Florida, and she's a cutie. (Captain)View attachment 14174

View attachment 14177
Wow he's amazing. I'm looking forward to having something like his size here. Really fantastic job taking care of them they look really healthy.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Wow he's amazing. I'm looking forward to having something like his size here. Really fantastic job taking care of them they look really healthy.

Thanks so much....I hope you get what you want! I love their personalities, but these guys are not a walk in the park. The males especially need that 4x4x8' tank/home. I noticed it really made a difference in my males' attitude - as if he owned more space. Another great thing - he absolutely loved it when I added a friend. He loves his girl (Captain). I felt like it calmed him, not sure if that happens with all.

TripleTegus

The picture is from my male when I got him almost 2 years ago. (Skully) He's a B/W Argentine. Here's an updated picture of him, now at 48". The female with him is also from the rescue guy in Florida, and she's a cutie. (Captain)View attachment 14174

View attachment 14177
Wow only 2 years old he's a beast. Do you house them in the same enclosure. I was wondering about that myself. I wasn't sure if housing together would be better than housing separately. Like maybe they would enjoy some company. With the appropriate amount of room of course. Something like 10x5x4

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Wow only 2 years old he's a beast. Do you house them in the same enclosure. I was wondering about that myself. I wasn't sure if housing together would be better than housing separately. Like maybe they would enjoy some company. With the appropriate amount of room of course. Something like 10x5x4

I do house them in the same container right now, while she's still so young - I don't know if I'll get away with that later. I do have separate tanks for them though. His is the 8x4x4, while hers is just the 5x4x3. I KNOW they like being together - I think they're actually happier, and Skully seemed to calm down (could have been a coincidence) when she arrived a year after I got him. Also - I really saw a big difference in Skully when I got him the appropriate size container, before she came along. He moved around alot more, and "claimed" his tank, while he was in inspection/approval mode. Made me laugh.

TripleTegus

I do house them in the same container right now, while she's still so young - I don't know if I'll get away with that later. I do have separate tanks for them though. His is the 8x4x4, while hers is just the 5x4x3. I KNOW they like being together - I think they're actually happier, and Skully seemed to calm down (could have been a coincidence) when she arrived a year after I got him. Also - I really saw a big difference in Skully when I got him the appropriate size container, before she came along. He moved around alot more, and "claimed" his tank, while he was in inspection/approval mode. Made me laugh.
Well thank you for that information. I might just try co habbing them but we'll just see how things go. If they're not getting along they'll have to be separated of course

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Although I have no experience in this myself I would probably think that the problematic time would be spring / breeding time.
2 males could fight for dominance especially if there's a female in the area........ not just in the enclosure but in your household
Opposite sexes....... The male could pester the female constantly

TripleTegus

Although I have no experience in this myself I would probably think that the problematic time would be spring / breeding time.
2 males could fight for dominance especially if there's a female in the area........ not just in the enclosure but in your household
Opposite sexes....... The male could pester the female constantly
Yeah I was thinking about that myself. I believe I have 2 females and one male. I still plan on having enough enclosures for all 3 separately but if they stay together for the most part and they seem happy then I don't see the harm. I definitely worry about the breeding season though because I don't want to go from 3 to 40 that's for sure.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would presume like any other animal I've en counted as long as the females get along in the first place they should be fine the whole year through except for the odd squabble that is understandable with any animal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602