• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello everyone!

Rita C

My name is Rita, I do not have a Tegu at the moment and not even sure if or when I’ll be getting one. I’m here to research and learn as much as I can before I decide if a Tegu is right for us. So I’ll be doing a lot of reading and asking lots of questions. So bear with me.

I have one child. He’s 7. For pets we have a dog, bearded dragon, and fish.

I’m looking forward to learning all about tegus!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Hi Rita! I think the world of my 2 Tegus that I got from Rodney Irwin - "Tegusonly.com" . He rescues them from an area in Florida where they are being eradicated because they are damaging natural habitats, and detrimental to ecosystems there. He has unbelievably beautiful animals - and is priced much lower than any pet store I've seen.

This is not a pet for a 7 or even a 10 yr old. Just my opinion - as long as there is parent supervision, and an extreme amount of caution taken - I'm sure it could work. They have an intense strength, and can be very difficult to handle. Accidents can happen even with a lot of caution. I'd say stick with the Beardies for your son for now. So much depends on "his" personality.

Good luck!! :)

Rita C

Hi Rita! I think the world of my 2 Tegus that I got from Rodney Irwin - "Tegusonly.com" . He rescues them from an area in Florida where they are being eradicated because they are damaging natural habitats, and detrimental to ecosystems there. He has unbelievably beautiful animals - and is priced much lower than any pet store I've seen.

This is not a pet for a 7 or even a 10 yr old. Just my opinion - as long as there is parent supervision, and an extreme amount of caution taken - I'm sure it could work. They have an intense strength, and can be very difficult to handle. Accidents can happen even with a lot of caution. I'd say stick with the Beardies for your son for now. So much depends on "his" personality.

Good luck!! :)
Thanks for the info! If I decide to get one I'll definitely check out Tegusonly.com. And for the record, none of our pets are for my son. They are really all mine. :)

I have heard that they are strong and have a powerful bite so my son would not be left with him unsupervised. But it is a concern of mine because I do know that accidents happen. So I'm hoping to maybe hear from other parents that keep Tegus. How safe is it really, to keep them in a home with children?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Rita.... Welcome to the site .... I agree with you both on what you're saying with children but as parent, 11 when I got Alpha which is a Colombian tegu so not quite as big I have never had any problems with injury. You just know as a parent and owner if both are in the mood to tolerate each other and to how big of part they should take part in each other's life\care.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam