• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Heat light sensor thing?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I can't think of the name, I feel silly... I've seen people with things that measure the temps under the lights and if the temps get too hot the lights will turn off.. :blush::blush::mad::mad:

Anyone know what it is I'm thinking of? Or have any experience with them?

My tegus are housed in the garage and today will be our first tester day, its supposed to be mid 80*'s but we'll see... I'm guessing I'll be alright just getting a lower wattage for the heating bulbs. I was thinking about getting something that might turn the lights off if it gets too hot in there as a back up, like if I'm at work or something...

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lolol omg, I royally fail... Sooooo embarrassing, my face is so red hahaha... Would it be a normal one or are there ones for reptiles?

And are there brands better than others?

Maro1

I use these. High quality have used them for years very dependable.

http://www.boaphileplastics.com/thermostat.html

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Yeah with Rheostats(light controller) they have them made for animals, but you just as easily use a $5 one from home depot to dim your lights...

I use the ranco thermostat on my BP tubs,

You have quite a few to select from,
http://www.reptilebasics.com/thermostats

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you are using MVBs I'm pretty sure you can't use a thermostat or rheostat with them.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
jondancer said:
james.w said:
If you are using MVBs I'm pretty sure you can't use a thermostat or rheostat with them.

Is this true? Can a light emitting heat source use a thermostat?

With lights its really called a rheostat, and thats pretty much just a light dimmer.

Power Sun Bulbs will not work connected to thermostat/rheostat, i never tried this but on the instruction manual it says not to use power sun bulbs with Thermostats.

Neeko

The reason u believe y you shouldn't use a automatic on off heat regulator is because certain bulbs can't be turned on and off with out a cooling period of 5 min or so. Doing so will diminish It's life and void warranty. Power sun comes to mind on this. Zoo meds sells the product I believe your looking for. I work in retail and pass up the 50 bucks for it. Just my 2 cents.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol what a topic to bring up, I wish I could change the tread name, I had a huge brain fart when I originally posted it. :-(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam