• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hay for substrate

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Has anyone ever used HAY in the mixture for Substrate? Or have any valid reason why it couldn't be used?

As dead grass I would think mixed in with soil it would form a great insulator, hold moisture and it cheap and light weight.. :D:tegu:

onnie0047

I though someplace I read it was a no-go because of the bacteria it harbors......I think if it was a good idea, most of us would be using it since cypress mulch in pet stores is so expensive....

Zyn

Hay will also grow weeds in your substrate :p lol I think you mean straw and once wet it molds quickly.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Guys ....
Mixed some pet store bought HAY into my substrate and filled 1 of Alphas hides with it not long after I posted this post and just thought I'd update my post......

My substrate now seams to hold moisture better and it has well bulked it up for little expense, the only down side I found was it took quite a while of constantly turning over the substrate to get it all mixed in.

Alpha has also changed hides and loves being insulated in the dead grass. He also never burrowed before and now he does even if it is just through clumps of hay.

I've had NO problems with mould or smell (which I did worry about).

Abner

Is the conclusion that Hay molds quickly and is a no no or that Straw molds quickly and is a no no.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I used hay and have had no problems with mould...... plus I've also read and seen people using straw..... so I believe both should be fine.

Abner

Hi @AlphaAlpha Thank your for your quick reply. My Tegu seems to love the Straw, she was in a deep sleep for two full days inside her hide. I would open her hide and touched her and she just wanted to keep sleeping, something that usually she does not do when I wake her up.

I was nervous that the straw was going to be bad for her so I cleaned her habitat yesterday but I'm thinking to keep using the straw and change it every week with fresh straw.

https://instagram.com/teguzoey/

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Alpha never used to burrow.... he always just had a tile to hide under but when i designed his large enclosure because i used an old 3 door wardrobe it left a dark section perfect to be filled with substrate to burrow in but until I tried the Hay he still only ever slept on top...... he now loves moving his bedding around and making his perfect bed.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Love the idea - the wild seems to be more of a mixture of leaves, straw, bark - etc. Seems like you will still be watching the substrate to change it as much as you already do. I used to have a LOT of bailed hay and straw both, when I had horses in North Alabama. (stay with me on this....) Alabama is the mold capital (from the humidity) of the world I think. The Indians used to call it Valley of Death. My hay and straw did great out in the barn - protected from the intense rain. Mold will kill a horse - you can't take any chances with it. I don't know where you live, but I'd say you couldn't possibly cause a mold problem unless you were being somewhat stupid. Humidity is good for Tegus at 70-90% right? Alabama constantly has humidity that high. Alpha's going to like this. I think it's a great sign that he's a digging fool now. They sleep so deep when they can burrow. Hope this makes sense!

Keep us updated Alpha!!

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm over in the UK..... Thanks for that info Debita, I also grew up around horses and yes I check his bedding daily fluffing it up and turning it over .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980