• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Has anyone used this for a grow out?

FinestFailure

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting a little one for myself. Now I know that unless I spend a small fortune I'm going to have to build an enclosure to hold an adult but everywhere I have read has said to grow them out in something smaller. I was out looking at my local reptile stores today and saw a 50 gallon breeder that looks like it could work for a little while, it's a zoo med "low boy".

I have two concerns for this cage though, the first being it's height. The tank is 48"x24" but only 10" tall. The second issue I see with it would be the access. It has two separate sliding screens on the top of the tank with no side access (who'd have thought a 10" tall tank wouldn't have side access). Wouldn't having only access from the top be stressful for any babies that would be housed in it? If these aren't really problems how long would a tank with that size footprint be able to house a little one?

Thank you for any help and advice in advance.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've seen people use top openers on you tube for juvenilles and My own self made enclosure now opens from the top so I see no problem in that.

Now as for 10" I think this could be a little low.... 1) not enough subsrate for burrowing (although not all tegus burrow) .....2) think about where you place it as your guy believe me will jump out its just a question of when.....3) Creating enough space between lamps and the little man.

This will probs only house if at all for around 6 month tops dependant on hibernation.

FinestFailure

Alright since that is the case I'm looking at building a 4x2x2 for a grow out. If I build it out of plywood what would be safe to use to paint/stain it and seal it. I have read that some people use plastidip. Has anyone here uses it with success? Also what would be a clear sealant use? I already plan on using the aquarium safe GE sealant for the corners.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980