• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Happy, but Nippy

ryan mills

I have recently have moved my Baby blue 6 month old into a 10x3x3, he's super sweet and tame. I can hold him, pet him. He walks in his little area when I let him out for a while. I pet him, nail trim him. Basically he's amazing, but I have this one issue. When I put my hand in his cage he sniffs it out a little, then he will sometimes nip my hand. I'm thinking that he thinks it's food or something? He might try to nudge my hand too, a little too aggressive. I'm not to sure how to stop this behavior before he gets older, and it's dangerous. He currently eats a variety of different super worms, and raw turkey's with veggies mixed in. I feed every day almost. Really good appetite, and active. So sorry for grammar error, but he's on my shoulder, and hard to type. Thanks!

firfy

First off do you feed outside of the cage or inside? Are you hand feeding? Also it could be that he is a little stressed out about moving to a different cage. I think that in a few weeks he will stop trying to nip. If it continues, I would spray him with some water every time he bites, walter1 suggested this to me when my tegu was nippy and it really works! Also he could just be testing boundaries with you. Its almost like he is wondering if he will get a reaction out of you when he bites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryan mills

Th
First off do you feed outside of the cage or inside? Are you hand feeding? Also it could be that he is a little stressed out about moving to a different cage. I think that in a few weeks he will stop trying to nip. If it continues, I would spray him with some water every time he bites, walter1 suggested this to me when my tegu was nippy and it really works! Also he could just be testing boundaries with you. Its almost like he is wondering if he will get a reaction out of you when he bites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do feed outside of the cage, and I never hand feed. I just kinda put his food in his food dish,or paper plate in a closet. That spray bottle idea sounds awesome, I'll for sure give it a go for a while! Thanks so much for the help!

James Smith

BOGA would nudge my hand and when I have him on my chest. He would nudge my chin. It's his way of showing affection, because once he do that he would lay head on top of my hand or chin. The nipping part, I never had a real issue with that but I would try to use the water spray ideal, and go back to water training a little too. Do whatever needed because this issue could potentially get worse.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam