• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

handling questions

new2tegus

So I'm at the point where he trusts me, quite a bit now. He will come over, take food from me, and sleep on me. He will even sleep facing away from me with my hand behind him. The cage until I get a stand is on the ground, which is fine but makes it difficult to get my hand into a position to pick him up. The last time I tried to pick him up, he freaked out, but then came over and slept on my hand. I want him to relate me with a good experience, not the I fall asleep or go near his hand I get grabbed reaction. If I had to pick him up I am fine doing it, if need be, I just don't want to betray his trust. Suggestions?

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
How are you picking him up? Reptiles don't like to be grabbed from above; that's the way a predator would grab them. Gently scooping up from below while keeping their legs supported is a method that works great for me with lizards and snakes (sans the leg bit for the latter, lol).

jdpFL

Yep....good support of the body so they don't feel like they will fall....and more of a scoop not a grab so they don't think you want to eat them. Those things help them feel secure. I also like to let mine sit on my hand within the enclosure to further build trust.

new2tegus

Okay , that's probably why, thank you guys. Didn't even think about that. I went from above. Right after the whole thing he came over to my hand and plopped his head down and went to sleep, so can't imagine to much harm being done haha.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam