• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Grow Tent Enclosure

chixwithtrix

I've been active on the Facebook groups, but thought posting here would be a good idea for people searching for more info on mylar grow tent enclosures.

I bought a grow tent (normally used for plants) and will be placing this one on it's side instead of vertical for space reasons. Plus side of that is most of the zippers will be on the top side where the tegu can't access. Less taping involved too.

A lot of people worry about their tegu scratching the soft sides and escaping. I will be putting plastic chicken wire around the perimeter so they will not be able to access the mylar. The mylar and canvas sides are pretty strong though. Plastic chicken wire won't harm them if they decide to nose rob and claw at it.

What's needed
- Grow tent of your choice of size. They get pretty big.
- Gorilla tape - I've needed at least 2 4" wide rolls.
- If placing the tent on it's side you'll need some sort of bottom liner for extra dirt/waterproofing. If you use one upright it comes with a mylar bottom liner.
- Zip Ties
- Plastic chicken wire

My tent was $104 shipped to my door, chicken wire about $25. Tape is about $15 a roll and paint drop cloth for $3-$5 depending on size.

Day 1 - Assembly
Assemble the frame, place the tent around it, start the taping and tegu-proofing process.

My first video illustrating the assembly process.

Materials
FB_IMG_1461337981976.jpg

Tent unfolded
FB_IMG_1461337985425.jpg

Frame assembled
FB_IMG_1461337988866-e1461339035878.jpg

Unzip the bottom to pull over the frame
FB_IMG_1461337993452.jpg

What it looks like standing vertical
FB_IMG_1461338001286.jpg

The vents you will need to tape up and tegu-proof, I'll be leaving a top one open to run my electrical wires through.
FB_IMG_1461338004960.jpg

Some preliminary Groilla tape work.
FB_IMG_1461338014214.jpg

Ran out of tape, but the result of the first day of work.
FB_IMG_1461338017928.jpg

Roadkill

5 Year Member
I had a friend set up a large one in his basement, and while I was impressed, I'd also think the utility is quite limited. My friend was far more into plants and small terrarium set ups for frogs, insects, that sort of thing, and the grow tent was definitely ideal for promoting plant growth. My biggest concern with these is that for a larger reptile, especially one with claws and likes to dig....they'll tear through these in fairly short order. My friend would set up his terrariums inside the tent, I could definitely see having smaller reptiles loose in it such as geckos, anoles, etc. but not a tegu. I've had those cloth mesh terrariums that used to be made by Exo Terra, tried them with numerous reptiles, they were torn up by juvenile spiny-tailed iguanas, frilled dragons, even the slow, arboreal Solomon Island's tree skink (which doesn't dig at all). I think you'll find that for a very young tegu this grow tent will probably work; as the tegu grows older and larger....eh, not so much.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced