• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Ground turkey and calcium/vitamins

jmiles50

5 Year Member
I'm about to mix up some ground turkey for Asami. Last time I added the fish oil, and this time I'm gonna add fish oil, calcium, and vitamins to the mix. Can anyone tell me the appropriate amounts of fish oil, calcium, and viamins to add to a little over over a pound of ground turkey :?:

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
I believe it should say on your supplement container, mine do at least and I'm using all Rep-Cal products. I believe Bobby said 1 tablespoon per pound of turkey.

I'll tell you what mine say... mix 1/2 tablespoon of Herptivite with 1/2 tablespoon of Rep-Cal Calcium with or without D3 for 1 pound of food.

Spencer

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
But I wonder about mixing the regular amount of vitamins with additional vitamins from the fish oil.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If a tegu has proper UV and a good diet, you dont need supplements. It is all about the proper diet. If you feed rodents, chicks, or quail once or twice a week along with a regular diet, and use a good source of UV, you don't need the supplements, that is true proper care of a tegu. Beef liver and cod liver oil are a great source of natural vitamins. I am not big on powdered supplements.

Tux

5 Year Member
"My choice of vitamin dust is Herpitive or Fluker's" Varnyard once said that....

I do agree though when it comes to tegu's with proper diet the need for supplementation drops. With other animals it can be a bit different as their diets often lack well roundedness and options.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tux said:
"My choice of vitamin dust is Herpitive or Fluker's" Varnyard once said that....

I do agree though when it comes to tegu's with proper diet the need for supplementation drops. With other animals it can be a bit different as their diets often lack well roundedness and options.

It is true, I once said it, but the more I find out about these products, the more I think they are better off without them. Most of them have a product to sell, and many of them will tell you anything to get you to buy it.

Just so you keep it in the back of your mind, just because the one's marketing them say it is so, that does not mean it is true. That said, can anyone remember reptile calcium sand? How about reptile bark with an iguana on the bag? Both of them are sure to cause an impaction, but that is not what they tell us.

Supplements are said to have a bunch of different things in them, but studies were done on some the products, they did not have what they say is in some of them. Others want you to buy crushed oyster shell as a form of calcium supplement, but they know your reptile cannot absorb this type of crushed rock. They are not going to tell you this, they have a product to sell, I prefer to not waste my money, enough said there. ;) :)

Proper UV and Diet is the only way to go for me.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
:dead Are we beating a dead horse here? The only thing i use is calcium without d3 2 maybe 3 times a week with the turkey ar fish.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602