• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Grand Cayman Blue Iguanas (major DUW)

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My youngest sister just moved to the Grand Caymans where she'll be teaching 3rd grade for the year. Needless to say, I'm very jealous after getting some of the pictures she sent and thought I'd share some of the more reptilian ones with you all.

Enjoy,
John

Some cool signs:
IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

Now, for the real deal:
IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

ThrillHouse

wow! cool.

i love the shedding one, looks like hes got a super-hero costume on or something!

i guess you gotta go visit your sister soon, then?

G

They are absolutely beautiful! Amazingly georgeous... It is so sad that they are as endangered as they are. Hopefully the population will grow.

Oh, and I like their piercings, too :D

I'm jealous as well, but since we do not have many reptiles species here in Denmark in the wild I'm very often jealous reading what other peple can find outside... :roll:

Nessie

Thanks for sharing the photos, they are beautiful. One day I hope to be able to experience large reptiles like this in their natural enviroment.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing.

I have always wanted to go to that IRFC Grand Cayman Cuban Iguana Refuge.

Are the piercings some sort of tag?

Kingwolf26

5 Year Member
they are mostlikely a subspecies of the also endangered rock iguana in the Bahamas where I used to live

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are the piercings some sort of tag?
I'm sure they are some sort of tag so they can keep track of their releases. I'll reply again when I find out for sure.

i guess you gotta go visit your sister soon, then?
Definitely going to go visit her as soon as I'm able. She's scoping out all the good herping spots for me while I work on making some money. :-D

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Curly-tailed lizards are all over the place:
P7140043.jpg

The blue-throated anoles were much harder for her to locate:
IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

And of course, green iguanas(invasive):
untitled.jpg

iguana1.jpg

Beazer

5 Year Member
Absolutely awesome man. I am so jealous of her lol. I love anoles! Great pics and awesome post.

-Jon DeLong

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was at the Queen Elizabeth II Botanical Gardens on the East End of the Island. The trust that formed the recovery program releases the Blues in their woodland area since they like the inland part of the island. Here's the website for the botanical gardens, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.botanic-park.ky/html/iguanas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.botanic-park.ky/html/iguanas.html</a><!-- m -->. That's the only place I have seen the blue-throated anoles too.

I found this link as well which might explain why blue-throated anoles are harder to find outside safe areas such as the gardens..
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nationaltrust.org.ky/news/seized/story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nationaltrust.org.ky/news/seized/story.html</a><!-- m -->
These smugglers that were caught had 930 blue-throated anoles amongst other things.

G

I cannot even imagine what it would be like to be able to spot these animals in the wild... I would sure love to travel to places like this one some day, but it is very expensive indeed from Europe to do so :(

Did your sister know if there are a lot of Iguana iguana (rhinolopha) invasives there or only a smaller amount? They could be competition for the other iguanas?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced