• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Got my tegu yesterday and won't eat anything

spencer21

i tried to feed him lizard food mix with calcium then a meal worm and even an egg and he looks over a just walks on it... I read somewhere you are supposed to just leave them alone for the first week and then start but... I don't want him to starve! He pooped in his enclosure the first hour or two he was in there so I'm guessing he's been fed somewhat recently.. Just seeing if anybody has tips!
I have a uv light and heating light a pothos and some fake miss he seems to enjoy hiding and burrowing in also made sure his substrate is nice a damp

I left the egg in there to see if he would eat if I wasn't around

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29

spencer21

i tried to feed him lizard food mix with calcium then a meal worm and even an egg and he looks over a just walks on it... I read somewhere you are supposed to just leave them alone for the first week and then start but... I don't want him to starve! He pooped in his enclosure the first hour or two he was in there so I'm guessing he's been fed somewhat recently.. Just seeing if anybody has tips!
I have a uv light and heating light a pothos and some fake miss he seems to enjoy hiding and burrowing in

I left the egg in there to see if he would eat if I wasn't around

Btw the enclosure is temporary obviously he will get much bigger! Looking to build a 7x3 or 8x3

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well ok I guess nobody cares
Your first post answered your question! If conditions are are acceptable, a healthy, routine-loving/needing species like a tegu WON't, WON'T, eat for a few days. Perhaps members here, like me, expected you to search thecforums a bit.

ophidia

My Chaco ate right away, about two hours after unpacking. I left her alone otherwise, but she took the thawed pinkie right from my fingers. I've had mine for 3 weeks now and she won't eat egg or ground turkey, just roaches, crickets, and frozen/thawed rodents. I'd try a pinkie. Cut it in half if yours is still tiny (mine was 11" when I got her and handled a whole pinkie just fine). Pro-tip: Cut the pinkie in half before you thaw it.

Mine's not interested in eating today though- she's in heavy premolt, very white, and seems pretty uncomfortable. It should all be coming off soon.

Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced