• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Good and bad news

Well if you didn't already know I was going to be getting a blue tegu but I have since discovered the wonderful reptilians known as cyclura cornuta or the rhino iguana. I have done quite a bit of research and hours upon hours of video watching on how to care and handle these awesome animals and I have decided that I will be easily able to care for one. So I have been in contact with Ty park and I will update you guys from there if anyone aka @TeguBuzz and any others that keep rhinos has any info that is essential to the care of these animals I would be very grateful to hear it! Thanks in advance everyone.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Very pleased with this, I received my rhino from Ty as well. If you have any specific questions, ask away. I have countless videos of my rhino on youtube with care tips if you'd be interested. You can find me there under the same username, otherwise, post your questions here, or feel free to PM me.

Looking forward to pics!

P.S., I may be receiving a new rhino from Ty soon!

Haha awesome and I did watch a few of your videos already lol. The main question I have is substrate I've seen some use nothing and others use cypress but I don't know which is right haha there were so many mixed opinions in the reading i did. Also yes laural it is great news I can't wait they are awesome.

Very pleased with this, I received my rhino from Ty as well. If you have any specific questions, ask away. I have countless videos of my rhino on youtube with care tips if you'd be interested. You can find me there under the same username, otherwise, post your questions here, or feel free to PM me.

Looking forward to pics!

P.S., I may be receiving a new rhino from Ty soon!
Soo what is your opinion on the above question.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sorry I was on a flight. In the UAE for the week. In response to your question, I have always housed hatchlings-juveniles on a form of tile of some sort. Makes for easier clean up and eliminates impaction. I eventually move them outdoors where the bedding includes dirt, mulch, grass, and whatever else. Hope that helps.

tl:dr -- tile when young. Mulch/dirt etc when older, IMO.

RobK.

go big as you can cage wise . they grow fast .

and good heat and lighting are a must . I like tile and i clean it everyday . Roni poops in a tub of water then he's rinsed off . so no mess in his cage , most of the time .;)

and get them outside as much as you can . I live at 5000 feet . Roni's outdoor enclosure ic covered in plastic so he can be outside during the day when sunny , eve in the dead of winter . UVB does go through rolled plastic , but you lose about 1/3 to 1/2 . WE have very high levels of UVB here so its no problem .

I do have a heater in his outdoor enclosure with a thermostat and also aheat lamp just encase the temps drop . he also has a heated hide .

snoozing i his heated hide .

and they grow from 12'' to this in three years , but worth every penny IMO .

Rebecca Stout

What are the biggest differences between Rhino's and Tegu's. I don't mean in care or anything. But I mean in behavior and how they are as pets. I looked at them but I liked the tegu so much I wanted to try one. the family didn't like how thino's looked, they preferred a tegu.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The biggest difference I noticed in comparing my rhino and other Cyclura to the tegus I've kept was their interaction with me.

Tegus were great and tame with me, but seemed to always go for food over handling and would get excited when food was in place.

My Cyclura, rhino included always preferred interaction over food, as well as socializing, etc. Even if food was infront of them and I entered the enclosure, they'd come up to me seeking attention, and then once I was gone they'd start eating. Or while I was hanging out in the enclosure and just chilling, then they'd start eating.
What are the biggest differences between Rhino's and Tegu's. I don't mean in care or anything. But I mean in behavior and how they are as pets. I looked at them but I liked the tegu so much I wanted to try one. the family didn't like how thino's looked, they preferred a tegu.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam