1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Gold Tegu Taming Process?

Discussion in 'Colombian Tegu Discussion' started by doomman550, Nov 30, 2018.

1. doomman550

doomman550 New Member

So I started working at a small local pet store around 6 months ago and we've had this gold tegu and I've been working with him since. He used to huff and hiss but now he only runs. Because it is a store and not someone's home, I got a harness for him to use as a controlled environment. He seems to calm down after getting him out of his enclosure. He takes me on walks and climbs up to my shoulder now and then. He also jumps off and when trying to put the harness on he tries to bite. If he's touched at all he'll try to get away or arch his back. I feed him dubia roaches from tongs inside his enclosure and only try to interact with him when he's not in his dig box. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I have a massive interest in reptiles and am looking forward to learning as much as I can. Thank you in advance!
  2. Problem Child

Problem Child New Member

Well since hes a golden tegu. Hes gonna c natually agressive .They are some of tha wilder 1's .But wat doin is good work just keep at it. Its all bout repetition hettin him ise 2 interaction with humans contact .I have 2 blacc&whites. I got luccy wit optimus .He took 2 me roght from tha jump .But my other 1 Megatron hes lil feisty he loves 2 hiss&talk a big game but never does anything .Now hes only hiss evey once in while now. Optimus ia bout 6months&Megatron is bout an month old

Attached Files:

3. AlphaAlpha

AlphaAlpha Active Member

GOLDS ARE NOT NATURALLY AGGRESSIVE...... Sounds like you're doing a great job,persistance and patience is key, these animals are Smart and it takes a lot of trust for them to build a relationship.

Please always makesure you support him when letting him on your shoulder... tegu's are heavy ground living lizards that can reallyhurt themselves if they fall from a great hieght.
    Griffin likes this.
  4. doomman550

doomman550 New Member

He's less than a year and I always have him in the harness if he isn't in his enclosure. I also keep a close hold on the harness in case he decides to jump so I'm able to quickly and gently catch him or set him down. I just don't know how long this process of calming a gold tegu will take. I've been working with him for a few months now and I've seen progress made. I'm just worried I do something wrong and it has a long lasting effect on him. We're located in a small couple towns and I don't feel like he'll get a home. If he can get used to me and calm down I would think about taking him home, but I originally wanted a black and white tegu. I feel like that would be the best starting large lizard instead of "going for the gold" for a first time owner.
  5. AlphaAlpha

AlphaAlpha Active Member

I've not really had the pleasure of dealing with an Argentine..... But my thinking is that because they are bigger, WE don't seam to be as much as a threat to them and so they are less timid/shy.... Alpha still doesn't enjoy the first pick up of each day but as soon as I do he soon changes and loves his head and nose tickling and hes never shown any aggression to me.

I personelly see no difference in which you get as a first owner..... They both need the same care and effort putting in to them, infact probs the only difference I see is size and along with that comes COST.
  6. doomman550

doomman550 New Member

Any time I touch his head he opens his mouth but doesn’t actively try to bite. Should I just not do it or wait for him to get used to it?
  7. DRedford

DRedford New Member

I've had my Gold Tegu for about 3months now he's only small, I left him for a couple weeks when I first got him as I was going on holiday so my friend fead him a mixture of live bugs, once I arrived home and every day since, I wear a thin glove and slowly move my hand towards him, he normally whips me and runs when I get close and I started to get to the point where I could touch the underside of his chin, but he constantly watches my fingers and ive been bitten 3 times, he breathes deeply the whole time and he makes a funny noise, sounds like hiccups lol. So I am still unable to touch him without he going nuts which means I've been unable to bath him, I wanted to replace his substrate but I'm worried about him getting out of his enclosure as he did last time and I had to chase him to pick him up and put him back. I speak to him the whole time that I try to touch him, and I'm very slow and I keep my hand on the ground, if I use tonges to feed him he attacks the tonges rather than tries to eat what I'm offering, so I end up putting locust or crickets in the tank with him. Anyone got any advice? I've only ever owned a bearded dragon before this, so I've gone from an easy pet to a hard one