• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Getting my heat up

Nikki Gregory

Hey guys, I just got my little guy and I am having a hard time getting my heat up to the correct temp. I have a 180 gallon tank and a 160 watt bulb but can’t seem to get the heat over 75 degrees. Any suggestions?

bsshig40

Does your enclosure have an open top? I doubt one bulb is going to provide enough heat to get basking temps of a round 115dg. I have a 6'x3'x3' enclosure. I had to run 4- 150w heat emitters to maintain proper temps when it's cold. It's getting warmer in my shop now but I still run 2- 150w emitters to maintain temps that cascade down from basking temps to hide temps ( hot side to cool side). Also, make sure you have an infrared temp gun so you know the exact temps.

TripleTegus

How high do you have the light mounted. You may need to drop it lower if you can, or have to add another bulb as already suggested. A heat gun is definitely as good investment though.

Nikki Gregory

Ok! Thank you for your responses! My enclosure is half open half closed. And I have my lights mounted about 12 inches from the substrate.

TripleTegus

Are you sure it's a 160w bulb. 12 inches seems awful close to only reach 75 degrees. I think the ambient temperature in my reptile room is higher than that. Something definitely seems a little off to me.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
seal up some ventilation so not as much heat escapes.......... but that does seem awfully strange to me too.

I Have a 120 X 150 X 60 (high) cm enclosure and I just use a 100w bulb that hangs about 30 cm above his basking tile.

Nikki Gregory

I have since closed up all holes up top and the heat has risen and so has the humidity thanks everyone for the advice and I am using a regular thermometer that goes on the side of the wall at the moment but am getting a thermo gun as soon as I get paid. He seems to be fine he is eating great ( LOVES silk worms) and is very active

Nikki Gregory

Also I messed up and put the thermometers to high up I’m not used to an enclosure this big yet lol. Hopefully he will be forgiving enough for me to learn a bigger enclosed ‍♀️

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam