• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Gender?

Lutchmom

Is there any way I can find out the gender of my tegu? The vet "thinks" it's probably a girl. We bought it December 2018 from a pet store, the store bought it in August from a reptile show. The vet thinks our tegu is approximately 20 months. I measured him/ her today and it was 3 feet 2 inches.

Lutchmom

I've been trying to get a picture of its vent, but that's not going well. Here's the best I got.

Attachments

• 20200217_154029.jpg
    20200217_154029.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 34

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
If it's that long.....it should def show jowl growth! 3'2" is pretty big, and my fat jowled male started showing growth at about 6-8 months. My guess is she's female because you'd know for sure if it was a male by now.

I'm basing my opinion on Black/White Argentine growth. What kind is yours? And, can you send out a full pic, or close up of the head and neck?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If it's that long.....it should def show jowl growth! 3'2" is pretty big, and my fat jowled male started showing growth at about 6-8 months. My guess is she's female because you'd know for sure if it was a male by now.

I'm basing my opinion on Black/White Argentine growth. What kind is yours? And, can you send out a full pic, or close up of the head and neck?
Exactly. Blue and blue cross males do not have much in the way of jowls.

Lutchmom

Lutchmom

It's a red tegu.

Attachments

• 20200217_154806.jpg
    20200217_154806.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200217_154802.jpg
    20200217_154802.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200217_154737.jpg
    20200217_154737.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Thx for the pics - there are great pics if you google "male Red Tegu pics" online. While the Reds might be shorter in length, the males still develop clearly round shaped jowls like the B/W's do. (right Walter1?) I think yours does not show that typical clear shape, and there are people here on this forum that could give you a good conclusion if you can get the vent pic a little more obvious. I didn't see anything on the vent pic that even hinted at having the small scale buds that are present on males, but I'm def not an expert. If you've never had a male/female comparison, it's fairly difficult to know what you're looking at.

Cute lizard!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Me, too. At that size, jowls are typically obvious in males. I think this is a well fed young adult female.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
From looking at the pics and reading the info I also believe you have a nice chunky female....... But also a Male at 20 month would be leaving a plug in his pee by now which is pretty unavoidable to miss too...... Its a sticky bit of white string (spunk) in his pee.

Lutchmom

Ok, follow up question. If my tegu is a female, will she lay unfertilized eggs? (I looked for this answer already, but found some people saying yes, and some people saying no ‍♀️)

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
No, I do not think so - I thought it would be only from being mated, or bred. From what I understand, they won't even mate if they don't feel the circumstances are good to lay a clutch. The Black/White and Blue Argentines are the only known lizards in the world to build a nest!! They have one area to lay the clutch, and another area to set themselves up to guard the clutch. They can lay a boat load of eggs.....like up to 70-ish.

There are actually lizards that are "parthenogenic" that reproduce without being bred. Tegus don't, but I thought I'd just throw that in for an FYI. Arizona whiptails are gorgeous neon colored lizards that do this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny