• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Future Tegu Mom - Advice, Tips, Opinions and Help

Roxi mc cormack

Hiya! I'm new here, and looking for advice on Argentine B&W Tegus.
In the future, after a couple of years researching, planning and preparing that is, I hope to bring home a female Argentine Black and White Tegu. The Name I've chosen in advance is Smaug :)

I'd really appreciate as much information, care guides, tips, links, ideas, opinions as possible.

I've so far found out (all info for adult tegus).........

That they need a varied diet as much as possible consisting of insects such as Super Worms,Calci Worms, Wax Worms, Meal worms, Crickets, Dubia Roaches, Locusts and whole prey such as frozen rats,mice,quail chicks and chicken chicks, meat such as ground turkey, chicken hearts etc. Fish and other seafood such as prawns,shrimp,salmon,trout,sardines,scallops,crabs,crayfish. Vegetables such as Dandelion,Kale,Turnip,Collard and Mustard Greens,Bell Peppers,Carrot,Parsnip,Squash and occasionally fruit such as Strawberries,Blueberries,Apple,Blackberries,Cherries,Dates,Figs,Melon,Papaya,mango and Grapes. And that eggs can be offered, Quail eggs are healthier but chicken eggs can be fed sparingly too. And Its recommended to boil or scramble eggs before feeding. (some people also choose to feed high quality cat or dog food, repashy grub pie, repashy veggie burger, repashy meat pie and reptilinks for extra variety). Food should be Dusted with Calcium without D3 (unless whole prey) and Multivitamin once a week. They should be fed 2-3 times weekly.

60-80% humidity, 52-57 degrees celcius basking temp,32-35 degrees celcius warm side temp,24-29 degrees celcius cool side temp. 12 hours of UVB. I know it's best to measure temps with a temp gun as well as the digital thermometer/hygrometers.

The best cage size is 8x4x3 feet or larger, but the bare minium is 6x3x3.
And that they like a deep substrate of 1-2 feet so they can burrow and dig for enrichment and like they would in the wild. I know they need 1-3 hides. A large water bowl. Substrate such as Coconut bark and Cypress Mulch and organic topsoil work best. That you should have the enclosure full of enrichment, preferably with a natural setup.

That you can either feed with a long tongs or in a separate space with the food already on a plate to prevent accidental bites or cage aggression.

I know they have a long lifespan of 20+ years. I know they mature at 2-3 years old. That females average around 3 feet while males can get 4-5 feet. I also know that they're one of the most intelligent reptiles.

I've read a bit into taming, gaining trust and what to do if bitten, how to read body language and how to tell if your tegu is about to bite,tailwhip, charge or lunge etc. But I plan to bring home a tame tegu so hopefully the chances of needing this info is slim. I will of course have to gain the tegu's trust and bond with her.

I have Crested Gecko and Ball Python Currently. I also have had or have had experience in some way with Milk Snakes,Corn Snakes,Russian Tortoises and Mourning Geckos. I often visit a local pet shop and a great reptile shop where I handle a variety of reptiles and learn more about them and their care and even help out. Both places are very knowledgeable about reptiles. And before getting a Tegu I hope to have a Leopard Gecko, Bearded Dragon and Ackie Monitor so I will have a lot more experience when the time eventually comes.

Thanks for reading - And in advance for any help you may give me :)

WaterRaven

Lots of good research here. Some things that might help:

1) Every tegu is different but they are burrowers so I like to provide spots for Tabucca to burrow when out. I have dog beds around because we have a dog but I also have some blankets in low, tight spots for her too. They can and will climb. Mine goes up the stairs and to the second floor regularly. She will either fall asleep under a dog bed in my office or in the hallway closet under some blankets. I leave her there for a couple of hours as long as it's not too cold in the house (I live in Canada). She has also climbed bookshelves and can jump onto the couch or coffee table if she wants to.

2) They can climb but most tegus don't feel secure in your hands while you are moving. I find making sure their feet are either firm against your arm/hands or firm against your chest/body is best. They feel better with most of their tail secure as well. More calm handling and not moving will lead to better handling when moving.

3) Get a harness that has clasps on the top (if it has them). Tabucca figured out how to rub her clasps against the ground and get out of her harness in no time. When she has gotten away from me and under something, either in the house or outside (that happened once and was terrifying) instead of grabbing her from behind as she gets under something (like a predator would do) I waited for her to come to me and picked her up from the front (unless of course it's something she can't come back from like a sewer drain. In that case, omg grab her).

4) Get sizable rocks for the basking area for your tegu to sunbathe but also to wear their claws down. It's a lot easier for both of you than clipping sharp nails.

5) I tong feed my tegu instead of leaving food for her and it's really helped with interest and trust. I make sure to wash my hands after I handle her food and before I handle her. I have a big pair of blue tongs that are obvious and she knows they mean food.

6) Having a routine really helps--I think consistency in routine and when to expect food, keeps things like misfires from happening. She knows it's bath, then she's fed, and then she explores. I giver her the same quantity of food each time, because if there's one less mouse or piece of fish, she will know. They can count.

7) They need A LOT more time and attention than most other reptiles. She will wake up before anyone (they can actually warm their own bodies up and wake up nice a early) and will rearrange her entire enclosure until I come get her for her bath and out time. I had snakes and geckos in the past and the difference in time and attention is huge. My husband sometimes takes her out in the morning (he wakes up earlier) because she is pressed against her window, waiting for him, and then I take her out again later. Now that it's winter, she usually puts herself to bed around 2pm and we don't see her again till morning.

8) Slow and steady. I sat with her in the bathroom for two or more months. Bath, then feeding, and waiting patiently for her to eventually feel safe and come over to me. She started to dig at my pants and climb into my lap.

9) There are days I can do something else while she's out: cook, draw, watch a program, and then there are days when she's climbing into my potted plants or digging a hole into my couch--true story. I hot glued it back together. She's not allowed onto that side of the couch anymore because she tore it open a second time.

10) If you ever do take your tegu outside on a harness, just remember that unleashed dogs (and even leashed) are out there. I'm a dog owner and I keep my dog leashed and away from children, other dogs, and other animals etc because I never know how they'll react--but I've seen other dog owners stand their while their dog has run off, attacked another dog, and I've heard horror stories of them killing other pets. A friend lost a bunny that way. It was horrible.

Anyway, just little tid bits of experience with my girl and hopefully some useful information :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980