• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Future plans, Need your opinions :3

Teguzilla

5 Year Member
What's up everyone? It's been awhile since I've visited the site so I figured I should make an appearance.

With the summer months approaching, I'll be getting my first place with my boyfriend and I'm signing up at a college in our area where I'll be studying Veterinary Science to become a licensed Veterinary Assistant. Along with that, I have a few other things I'm thinking about getting into between this summer and the near future.

I am thinking about investing in some BP morphs and I'm also thinking about starting my own kennel in the near future once I'm making more money. I'll be raising American Bully dogs. Alongside that, I am also thinking about getting a tegu or two and starting my own Tegu business. I'm going to try and acquire a Blue and a Red by the end of the year if I can.

I'm definitely interested in getting BP morphs such as Champagnes, Lessers, Pastels, and Mojaves which are among my many favorite morphs.

I think I've finally figured out what I want to do in life :D Raising and Breeding my two favorite reptiles and my favorite breed of dog. What do you guys think? Sounds good? I know I have a lot of investing to do. First, I'm trying to figure out which to get started on first between the BPs, Tegus, or Am Bullies.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In my opinion I think you need to follow what's going on with the reptile/exotic animal laws nationwide and in your state. Make sure these laws aren't going to affect your plans.

The ball python market is huge, but in my opinion the more common morphs aren't going to be worth much real soon. Unless you have the funds to start with some really high end stuff I wouldn't consider them as a business, maybe a hobby.

Tegus seem to be a fairly easy reptile to sell as hatchlings. Everyone always seems to sell out rather quickly, so I would recommend to start with them. Your overhead cost is going to be quite a bit higher than with ball pythons though.

I am not familiar with the dog market, so I can't say much about them. Only thing I would watch out for is any laws/bans against owning/breeding certain breeds that may be deemed dangerous.

Dana C

I like James think that going with Tegus is a better business proposition than Ball Pythons. As for raising American PBT's, I don't think that we need anymore dogs that end up in pounds and if you visit animal shelters in most cities, PB's are far and away the most numerous.
I am not saying that I hate them, but I just think there are too many dogs out there needing adoption now.
I raised, bred and showed Old English Mastiffs for years. All my dogs were OFA'd, (hips and elbows), Von Wilibrands Clear, CERF'd and guaranteed. All my bitches and my male, Watson were champions. When you breed any animal the first thought you should have is about making the species better. In other words, you should always breed "up" making what ever it is, better than the generation before it. It should never be about the money as it too often is. Just do the right thing for the animals.
I know I sound like a spoil sport or old curmudgeon.

got10

the ball python market is flooded as well as the bully breed market.If you really love the bully breeds then go out and adopt one . Don't bring anymore into this crazy place because you will never be able to find a home for all of them . . If you are really trying to have a paying hobby then get into and breed your tegus

Teguzilla

5 Year Member
Thanks for your opinions guys :) Did a little more thinking and you guys are right about the BP market and the bully breed market. I'll probably just wind up getting a morph I really like and just keep it as a pet. As for the tegu business, I'm definitely still going to go through with it. I'm going to see what I can find between July and October. I'm really hoping to breed blues since they aren't very common. By the way things are going now, I'll probably have at least one blue by the end of the year. On a side note, if I can't get the blues, I'm thinking of getting some high white gus. I can't wait to start building the enclosures and buying the supplies.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What is your experience in breeding reptiles and where are you located?

got10

Teguzilla said:
Thanks for your opinions guys :) Did a little more thinking and you guys are right about the BP market and the bully breed market. I'll probably just wind up getting a morph I really like and just keep it as a pet. As for the tegu business, I'm definitely still going to go through with it. I'm going to see what I can find between July and October. I'm really hoping to breed blues since they aren't very common. By the way things are going now, I'll probably have at least one blue by the end of the year. On a side note, if I can't get the blues, I'm thinking of getting some high white gus. I can't wait to start building the enclosures and buying the supplies.

Well you better get started building the enclosure very soon then. You will need the largest thing you can build , then make it 1/3 larger than that. And as for blues that will be a very costly endeavor even to start.
It took me YEARS to find one that wasn't as much as my mortgage payment, And when I did find one I took too long to respond to the add and it was picked up by a flipper. Who then tried to sell me the SAME lizard for twice what he paid the original seller for it. So when I found one for a reasonable price i contacted the seller within the hour of the post going up and paid 230 USD for it including the cage. And as luck would have it the same flipper that bought out the first blue contacted the seller as I was picking it . AND he had the balls to tell the guy he would give him 100 bucks more than the selling price so he could"give it a good home". But, luckily the seller said no because I was already there. SO in that deal I got my first and hopefully not last Blue Tegu. Just keep your eyes open and remember they are costly . Plan on spending about 600-800 dollars for one . Maybe there will be some breeding going on . And drive down the price a bit unless you can get one in from another place OR find someone getting ready to relocate or just getting out of the game.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Honestly, you won't be able to make any serious amount of money off of any of those endeavors. Tegus need tons of food, heat, and large enclosures that are expensive to heat properly. Ball pythons are a terrible investment unless if you have tons of money to put into them and even then it's getting harder and harder to turn a profit. Dogs are expensive and honestly the world does not need more dogs. Find a reptile you enjoy, buy a small number that you can provide a great level of care for, and if you breed them that's fine but don't breed for a profit, because in all honesty you will be lucky to break even with the costs of starting the business, buying animal stock, and feeding and heating the cages which you will have to buy or build.

got10

Dana C said:
I like James think that going with Tegus is a better business proposition than Ball Pythons. As for raising American PBT's, I don't think that we need anymore dogs that end up in pounds and if you visit animal shelters in most cities, PB's are far and away the most numerous.
I am not saying that I hate them, but I just think there are too many dogs out there needing adoption now.
I raised, bred and showed Old English Mastiffs for years. All my dogs were OFA'd, (hips and elbows), Von Wilibrands Clear, CERF'd and guaranteed. All my bitches and my male, Watson were champions. When you breed any animal the first thought you should have is about making the species better. In other words, you should always breed "up" making what ever it is, better than the generation before it. It should never be about the money as it too often is. Just do the right thing for the animals.
I know I sound like a spoil sport or old curmudgeon.

I agree whole heartingly

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I doubly agree. I think breeding can be profitable, but not hugely so unless you have a large number of animals and really get into cutting your overhead. Anything that is high end today will be subject to price change in the future. I think you should start by gaining experience with an animal you would like to keep. Then breed what interests you. If you don't have a passion, then you will burn out.

Compnerd7

TegusRawsome80 said:
Honestly, you won't be able to make any serious amount of money off of any of those endeavors. Tegus need tons of food, heat, and large enclosures that are expensive to heat properly. Ball pythons are a terrible investment unless if you have tons of money to put into them and even then it's getting harder and harder to turn a profit. Dogs are expensive and honestly the world does not need more dogs. Find a reptile you enjoy, buy a small number that you can provide a great level of care for, and if you breed them that's fine but don't breed for a profit, because in all honesty you will be lucky to break even with the costs of starting the business, buying animal stock, and feeding and heating the cages which you will have to buy or build.

Any business takes investment, and time ( years ) to develop, and start turning out a real profit. When you look at the short term profits of breeding, they are bad. But if she is serious, and committed to her breeding, I believe she can make some money off of doing something she loves. If you break even your first time, but find it something you loved, then you are set up for another year of breeding with your initial investment behind you. TegusRawsome80 does put up a good point though with the initial cost. If you are committed to go one season with little intake, then start making money the next, you should be okay. It doesn't sound like your doing this to make some serious money anyways, since you are in college to become a Veterinary Assistant.

I did the same thing with Bearded Dragons when I use to breed them. My first year I thought I was going to make all kinds of money, but overhead costs coupled with my initial investment made me break just over even. But it was something that I loved doing. So, after my first year was through, I was ready for the next and I did much better the following years until I had my own bloodline going. What really killed it for me is Dragons became saturated in the industry, so when this trend came up, I sold off my stock ( kept my breeding equipment ), and got out. I was sick of seeing Beardies sold to every person alive and not taken care of properly. I still breed my dragons every 3 years or so just because I want to keep my bloodline going so I always have linage from my very first dragon, and so that my bloodline is still in tact in case Dragons become in high demand again in the future.

I believe you've been steered onto the right track. You may not make some " serious " money breeding Tegus, but if its something you love then it's something worth doing. Down the road, if you stick with it, you could be very successful. I most defiantly agree that breeding Balls or Pits is a bad idea. I have nothing against either of those species, I own 2 Blue American Pit Bull Terriers ( best dogs ever I love em! ) and a Ball Python; but business / ethically wise that industry is over saturated and doesn't need any more breeders.

What ever you deiced I hope you have fun, and excel in it!

Teguzilla

5 Year Member
Compnerd7 said:
TegusRawsome80 said:

Any business takes investment, and time ( years ) to develop, and start turning out a real profit. When you look at the short term profits of breeding, they are bad. But if she is serious, and committed to her breeding, I believe she can make some money off of doing something she loves. If you break even your first time, but find it something you loved, then you are set up for another year of breeding with your initial investment behind you. TegusRawsome80 does put up a good point though with the initial cost. If you are committed to go one season with little intake, then start making money the next, you should be okay. It doesn't sound like your doing this to make some serious money anyways, since you are in college to become a Veterinary Assistant.

I did the same thing with Bearded Dragons when I use to breed them. My first year I thought I was going to make all kinds of money, but overhead costs coupled with my initial investment made me break just over even. But it was something that I loved doing. So, after my first year was through, I was ready for the next and I did much better the following years until I had my own bloodline going. What really killed it for me is Dragons became saturated in the industry, so when this trend came up, I sold off my stock ( kept my breeding equipment ), and got out. I was sick of seeing Beardies sold to every person alive and not taken care of properly. I still breed my dragons every 3 years or so just because I want to keep my bloodline going so I always have linage from my very first dragon, and so that my bloodline is still in tact in case Dragons become in high demand again in the future.

I believe you've been steered onto the right track. You may not make some " serious " money breeding Tegus, but if its something you love then it's something worth doing. Down the road, if you stick with it, you could be very successful. I most defiantly agree that breeding Balls or Pits is a bad idea. I have nothing against either of those species, I own 2 Blue American Pit Bull Terriers ( best dogs ever I love em! ) and a Ball Python; but business / ethically wise that industry is over saturated and doesn't need any more breeders.

What ever you deiced I hope you have fun, and excel in it!

I really appreciate all the opinions :) I did do a little more thinking about the BP breeding and raising the Am Bullies and I've decided not to. However, I am thinking about collecting and raising some of my favorite morphs. As with the Tegu breeding, I am going to go through with it. I don't want to do it to make money but only for the joy of keeping them as they are my favorite reptile. I've been writing down my plans on saving, acquiring, and breeding them and I only plan to breed them once every 2 or 3 years. I probably won't end up breeding them until they are 3 or 4 years of age. It's not something I want to rush into. Besides that, I know how blues are sorta hard to come across so if I don't end up with a blue or two, I'm going to go for just breeding high white black and whites. Again, I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Best of wishes with your endeavors! It can be very rewarding. Baby blues should be hatching later this year. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602