• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Freaking out

Nikki Gregory

So I’m not sure what’s going on but I came home and got Diesels food ready then went to get him from his tank just like every other day and he jumped up at my hand and bit me so I let him settle a little and then left him alone for a couple minutes and he started running around his tank continuing to jump at the walls of his tank. So once he settled a bit more I went in again and this time he crawled up on my hand like usual and now just ate some chicken liver and eggs. I am very confused why he acted this way. Any advice? Do you think I handle it correctly?

rantology

How old? and how long have you had him? When they're young they are prone to be more skittish and can get spooked by things, especially unfamiliar sounds or sights. They also go through puberty (males in particular) and have a phase of "rebelious" behavior like charging, whipping and trying to bite.

Also if you hand feed it's possible he's associating you with the food (in a bad way) and getting a bit too excited about it. I'm currently trying to target train mine to a pair of blue tongs. Even if I dont feed him with the tongs every time, I make clicking noises and show him the tongs before he gets any food, so he knows its meal time (I don't want him to associate hand = food)

Nikki Gregory

How old? and how long have you had him? When they're young they are prone to be more skittish and can get spooked by things, especially unfamiliar sounds or sights. They also go through puberty (males in particular) and have a phase of "rebelious" behavior like charging, whipping and trying to bite.

Also if you hand feed it's possible he's associating you with the food (in a bad way) and getting a bit too excited about it. I'm currently trying to target train mine to a pair of blue tongs. Even if I dont feed him with the tongs every time, I make clicking noises and show him the tongs before he gets any food, so he knows its meal time (I don't want him to associate hand = food)
I’m not sure on EXACT age but I know he is a 2020 hatchling and I have had him a month today. It took me about 2 weeks to get him to crawl onto my hand all by himself ( we have an open top tank. I know it’s not ideal but it was a free 210 gallon tank) anyways, it was the EXACT same routine as every other day so far. And I do not hand feed. I put his food on a colored plate and sit him on top of his tank that way I can be closer to him with my hands around. After he bit me and I closed his tank I sat by it and kind of scolded him lol then we tried again and he got into my hand like normal. Then we hung out for a while before putting him back just like our normal everyday routine.

bocacash

5 Year Member
I would like to reinforce what rantology said. I have always made a clicking noise as I approach Jessie to feed him...he learned, quickly. what that means ! If I'm just going to socialize with him, or take him out...I just talk calmly to him. Also, if he is really hungry he will rush the food and bite at it...so, I always have it in a small bowl or plate with my hand/fingers on the side AWAY from him...in a very FIRM grip ! If he bites the food container...I am prepared and it doesn't spill out...learned from experience ! If he does bite...I remove the food/container from him, immediately...close the side doors and talk calmly to him until he stops his agitation...then I make the clicking noise again and reintroduce the food. Now that works every time...he never bites a second time !
As Walter said...they are very smart...dogs with scales and learn quickly ! Good Luck !

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I like Bocacash's clicker idea. I got bit by my male adult - it was traumatizing!! LOL My thumb was stuck inside his mouth that as it turns out, was not that easy to pry open. Once I collected myself, I got free... Any of these tricks that work are worth the effort.

Many painful days were had after that. It was completely my fault - I wasn't using tongs and was trying to give him a thawed mouse in the tub where he had never been fed before. He went airborne without any notice. He clearly didn't understand my demise. The mouse was in his mouth and that's all he cared about. Never do that!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Nikki Gregory

I would like to reinforce what rantology said. I have always made a clicking noise as I approach Jessie to feed him...he learned, quickly. what that means ! If I'm just going to socialize with him, or take him out...I just talk calmly to him. Also, if he is really hungry he will rush the food and bite at it...so, I always have it in a small bowl or plate with my hand/fingers on the side AWAY from him...in a very FIRM grip ! If he bites the food container...I am prepared and it doesn't spill out...learned from experience ! If he does bite...I remove the food/container from him, immediately...close the side doors and talk calmly to him until he stops his agitation...then I make the clicking noise again and reintroduce the food. Now that works every time...he never bites a second time !
As Walter said...they are very smart...dogs with scales and learn quickly ! Good Luck !
My only problem is that our routine is as soon as I take him out I feed him and then we hang out together either he’s in my shirt or we just lay on my bed as he crawls around. Should I change my routine at all? Should I not be doing it that way?

Dylan koch

Sorry to interrupt your thread but no ones replied to mine yet and need advise asap!! My red tegu female hasn't ate in 4 days she never turns down a meal and has been acting very not her self!! Laying around all day seems super low energy barely can keep her eyes open I've been spraying her down alot and got her to drink a few sips of water!! My worry is that her intestines might of got clogged with something or cypress mulch that's mixed in her substrate!! I'm super worried! Shes lost weight and because I'm out of work I can't afford to take her to vet if she needs surgery!

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My only problem is that our routine is as soon as I take him out I feed him and then we hang out together either he’s in my shirt or we just lay on my bed as he crawls around. Should I change my routine at all? Should I not be doing it that way?

You don't have to change your routine, just make sure it works for you both.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Hey Dylan - Not sure you need to panic, but I understand you're concern. There are many threads here that address the issue you're talking about - so you might have to search around a little. For me, they are not necessarily consistent eaters. So many questions arise too, like is she coming out of brumation? Or, is she straining when she's trying to go?..... It's hard to give answers without quite a bit more information. You should search "constipation" or "obstruction" or... "impaction"...? There are some pretty obvious things they do when they're dehydrated too.

I think you might try massaging her stomach in the med-warm tub to trigger the impulse to go. Even scratch the back of her tail. She'll prob try to go if she's in trouble, and if she can't you'll know because she'll keep trying with no results, or very little.

Last edited:

Godzilla Earth

Hey Dylan - Not sure you need to panic, but I understand you're concern. There are many threads here that address the issue you're talking about - so you might have to search around a little. For me, they are not necessarily consistent eaters. So many questions arise too, like is she coming out of brumation? Or, is she straining when she's trying to go?..... It's hard to give answers without quite a bit more information. You should search "constipation" or "obstruction" or... "blockage"...? There are some pretty obvious things they do when they're dehydrated too.

I think you might try massaging her stomach in the med-warm tub to trigger the impulse to go. Even scratch the back of her tail. She'll prob try to go if she's in trouble, and if she can't you'll know because she'll keep trying with no results, or very little.
Also take your time, just keep trying to feed her and she might take it. unless nothing works or you know it's certain that somethings wrong, I don't think its panic worthy. (BTW take all of my advice with a grain of salt because I don't have any experience)

Dylan koch

She has seemed more interested in food by licking it but not eating shes been drinking water.. I saw yesterday two poops in cage she is housed with a male red so I think the very runny liquidy one was hers I haven't seen my tegus poop more than once a day each

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam