• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Fluke eggs and floral count too high. Prolapsing

Austin27

So I took Austin to the vet here recently about 3 weeks ago and I was prescribed Panacur 10%. The dr did the first dose, gave Austin a shot in the arm and the instructions said to give the first dose 2 weeks after first dose, and the last dose 1 week after the second dose. Which I've done, now I am unable to get a poop sample because he keeps straining hard and has horrible smelling diarrhea. He has also prolapsed 2 times in the last 2 days. Saturday and today. Of course the vet I see isn't open, and the emergency number gives me a place that only does cats and dogs... prolapse went back in both times but happened inside of his enclosure. I'm in a world of worry and uncertainty. I work 12 hour shifts and I'm off Wednesday so that seems like a long time to wait. I'm taking him to another vet to get a second opinion and I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to allow him to pass some sort of poop? I've been doing some reading and it says parasites are 90% of the causes of strains that lead to prolapsing. He still will eat but I'm almost scared to feed him, usually I feed ground Turkey, raw chicken, the reptilinks quail mix, and sometimes I'll feed beef hearts or beef livers/chicken livers. My vet said I need to be feeding more whole prey items. So I have some on order. I have taken him to a vet before when he was young and he was then riddled with parasites then. Successfully gave the medication and everything checked out fine. Now I'm having a battle with this. I'm keeping his furniture clean in his enclosure and changing the soil every month with a deep bleach cleaning and rinsing really good.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
sorry to here all that ..... not an expert here but I'd be thinking to feed much less dense meat, maybe fish fillets. things that you think will break down in the stomach easier with cod liver oil on and some added water.

I also go by the rule of thumb that sometimes you can go too far and clean too much ..... animals need to have a immune system and if you they don't come into contact with anything to build it up, once they do pick something up from being out their enclosure it hits them hard.

As I say this is just my take on it and others may disagree.

I still have substrate and soil in Alphas enclosure from 2 years ago as I only spot clean and add to it as it gets low, although he rarely poos in his enclosure and if he does its tends to be in the same area.

Austin27

Update: Austin is in fact a Male, I described to the vet what I saw was two things coming out of his vent area. She said that is his epipenis? Sp? And sometimes they tend to prolapse that as it goes back inside the vent. She also said that my primary vet cleaned up the flukes, so I don't have that to worry about anymore with him. He's been doing much better here lately and is on an antibiotic for some bacteria which would be causing his diarrhea. The poop seems in tact when I spot clean and all seems well. He did leave a nasty bite on my upper lip today, I hope it heals good. He got frustrated with me trying to play the game of me putting a hopper out for him to eat. When he ate it I gave him a few seconds to swallow and caught him. He put up a hell of a fight because he didn't want to get out of the roaming room. I got my face too close to his while I was carrying him and this was the result... I hope it doesn't leave an ugly scar on my mustache for the rest of my life. Hehe.

Attachments

• Snapchat-981210832.jpg
    Snapchat-981210832.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 20

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced