• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Flat/damaged scales

Katy

Hey all,

I recently noticed my tegus scales are looking really dry and he had some tail shedding issues which has now developed into some cracks, his belly also has some cracks, i had a call with my vet and she believes it’s developed from lack of humidity, I recently bought a humidifier to try to deal with this but she says it can take months for the sores to get better and to do salt baths and apply sudacrem in the meantime.
With Coronavirus she cant see him so it could be months before i can get him seen to. I’m just wondering if the missing scales could be burns and if anyone else has seen something like this before. thanks in advance for any help or info :)

Attachments

• 82EE5BD6-F0C6-4F37-8686-D672453DA7FE.jpeg
    82EE5BD6-F0C6-4F37-8686-D672453DA7FE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • 33DDDE71-5BEF-489C-ADCC-F8F5E6DE020B.jpeg
    33DDDE71-5BEF-489C-ADCC-F8F5E6DE020B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 64
  • D67AAC50-4668-4224-99C9-51CAD032FA0C.jpeg
    D67AAC50-4668-4224-99C9-51CAD032FA0C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm along the same thinking of Mich lady and can't really see any problems on the pics.

If he suddenly looks dry, it could be just a thicker or dry shed....... These are very sturdy/rough animals that are absolutely pampered in our care compared to what they deal with in the wild so try not panic or stress at every little bump scrap or defect you observe, .....But as you say just add cream (not heard sudacrem before but I think good Idea) if it looks too dry and sore plus fish oil in food.

bocacash

5 Year Member
I agree with previous comments...don't see anything really wrong. Are you thinking the lighter colored scales are 'missing' scales? Not so, just part of his/her pattern. The creases between the scale areas might be a bit dry but, they are underlying skin and should be dry and tough...kinda' like expansion strips on a highway to give movement flexibility to the armor plating of the scales. If you are still concerned...cream can't hurt and make sure you provide fish oil in food and soaks ! good luck !

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Just my 2 cents - if you can't get out - I've heard that olive oil works too, but I'm a firm believer of fish oil in the diet after my male had some other probs. I don't see any issues in the pics either. So no panicking allowed yet! ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced