• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First time Tegu and I need help

pigyzsempai

So I just got my baby B/W tegu and it was an impulsive purchase by my mother, see I had absolutely no idea what a Tegu even was until she brought it home and gave it to me.
So I’m clueless, I’ve been researching like crazy since I got him and I’m trying to figure out how to properly care for him,
From what little information my mom got from the reptile place she got him at, he’s about 3 months old and was only eating crickets and mule worms. and they were going to start introducing pinkies to his diet soon.
I’ve had him about 4 days now and he hasn’t eaten or shown any interest in his crickets at all, nor has he gone near his water dish as all. All he is doing is sleeping. Is this normal for this age? I’ve read they are supposed to grow a lot in their first year and he should be eating everyday. I don’t know if he is still just trying to adjust to his new home or if something is wrong ?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome. A tegu is a lot of work. At 3 mo., it's about 20ish inches. Needs fresh somewhat humid air. At 1 year of age, it will be 3-3.5 ft in total length and will need 4ft turn around space and at leastv8 ft long an enclisure. Bask light at 1q0-115 f, and thermal gradoent lf low 80s in enclosure and a most hide in mid-upper 70s, cooler in winter when they shut down to varying degrees. Food should be whole prey with plenty of powdered calcium and frequent doses of fish oil. Some think they're dogs, others are an aloof cat. You have much to learn and spend on this lizard. You might also consider adopting him out if circumstances aren't right for you.

pigyzsempai

Thank you for the information . :)
I know after doing a lot of research that this guy is going to be a lot of work but since he was a gift I have to take responsibility.
I’m just trying to do my best by him. See I have bearded dragons and Gekos and a Russian tortoise. I know that as a reptile owner they are a lot of work and money and dedication. I hope to learn a lot so that my Tegu can live a long and happy life. Lol I’ve already started making plans for his adult enclosure.
I do have a couple more questions.
At three months should he already be eating pinkies ? Or should I keep with insects dusted in calcium?
Can I introduce fish into his diet ?
He finally ventured out of his cave this afternoon but he’s just sleeping in his basking light, is that normal?

TripleTegus

I would say it's just adjusting to it's new environment. Give it like a week n see if it settles in before you really start stressing over anything. Just keep an eye on it n make sure it's not looking terribly thin or dehydrated.

pigyzsempai

I’m actually really worried about him being dehydrated, I mist my Bearded dragons when they aren’t drinking much or let them soak in shallow water, should I try that with my Tegu if he continues to show no interest in his water ?

TripleTegus

I’m actually really worried about him being dehydrated, I mist my Bearded dragons when they aren’t drinking much or let them soak in shallow water, should I try that with my Tegu if he continues to show no interest in his water ?
If your that worried then I would say a good soak wouldn't be a bad thing

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If he's healthy, he'll drink. Check out older threads for sure, but certainly ask questions. We want your tegu to be healthy and happy. Your herp keeping experience will be a big help to you.

Lochlan

I just got a baby black and white tegu the same age and this is all a first with me to I did about 2 years of research tho and I'm still having the same problems as you, I guess we'll have to learn together

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980