• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Fire Bellied Toad Age

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I have a fire bellied toad that is 21. He was my very first pet and has outlived every other animal my family has had. All the research I've found says they only live 3 to 5 years. Does anyone know what the record for the species is?

Max713

The first thing people are going to ask you is if you can prove his age, do you have any?

That is one old toad!

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Max713 said:
The first thing people are going to ask you is if you can prove his age, do you have any?

That is one old toad!

I believe the store I bought him at is still open, and we have dated photos of me as a little boy with the toad. I used to have two, but the other one "only" lived 19 years. I also have no idea what age the animals were when I got them, so these are minimum ages. I suppose I could take him to the vet and see if they can do some sort of DNA test or something to determine his age. He is a lot bigger than the fire bellies you see at pet stores, about four of five times their size.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have no idea how old fire bellied toads live, but you might want to check with your parents too when trying to verify the actual age.. Sometimes parents will replace their kids dead pets unbeknownst to the child. :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I found this link that says they live 10-15 years sometime longer.

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/frogsandtoads/a/orientalfbtoads.htm

jmulley6

had one when I was little, only had him a few years, poor little Hopper got lost and I found him a few weeks later dried up like a raisin under the couch... :(
Glad to hear your toad is alive and well, I have only heard that they can reach 20 years.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
JohnMatthew said:
I have no idea how old fire bellied toads live, but you might want to check with your parents too when trying to verify the actual age.. Sometimes parents will replace their kids dead pets unbeknownst to the child. :)

We've kept reptiles as family pets for over two decades; my parents don't pull b.s. like that and never have. Besides, I can recognize my toad's patterns so I know it's the same animal. I hate that some parents do that.

hanniebann

5 Year Member
Please find out how long they live! lol. I inherited 8 of them while working at a pet store in Tracy. I love them to death! But 21 is a REALLY LONG TIME! I thought some of them might be dropping out soon (due to age), but maybe I'll be pleasantly mistaken :D

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
hanniebann said:
Please find out how long they live! lol. I inherited 8 of them while working at a pet store in Tracy. I love them to death! But 21 is a REALLY LONG TIME! I thought some of them might be dropping out soon (due to age), but maybe I'll be pleasantly mistaken :D

Most of the research I've done says an average of 3 to 5 years is typical, although some specimens can do 10 years or more if you take good care of them. I'm sure your toads will be fine. :) TLC goes a long way with these guys, let me tell ya.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced