• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Faux Rocks for Adult Tegus

Dragon392

Hi, all!

I’m prepping for a tegu next Summer (2020), so I’ve got some time to prepare. I love naturalistic enclosures, and am a glutton for punishment. I’m wondering if anyone else has found a successful method for making faux rocks for tegus.

There’s plenty of faux rocks for reptiles tutorials online, but they’re all geared toward small to medium sized species, and won’t hold up to a 15lb burrowing behemoth. I’ve been watching videos on that and diy rocks for outdoor features made of concrete, and am formulating how best to blend the techniques and materials into something that can withstand the punishment a tegu would dish out. Right now, I'm thinking newspaper/foam core, covered with chicken wire, then coated in concrete (after curing, paper/foam removed), then the concrete coated in a sealant.

Ultimately, I want the faux stone to go up the walls (too thin for paper/foam form, so just reinforced with rebar) partially, and form two ledges with hides underneath. Since I’m trying to keep the enclosure (AP T100) able to be broken down to move if needed, the rocks will be created outside the enclosure, and made in multiple pieces that fit together to assemble when placed inside. They’ll be made and supported in such a way as to keep them from falling or being pulled down, as well.

Just wondering if anyone else has done faux rocks for their tegu or other large lizards, what your method was, and how well it worked out.

Zyn

Yeah watch how jay or bhb built their large enclosures. But they amused concrete

Dragon392

Thanks! I have seen BHB, and looked into the method they were using, but I’d either need molds of the rocks, or to hire the company they use, and that looks waaaaaay expensive.

Who’s Jay?

Dragon392

Oooh, I haven’t seen him yet! Found BHB in the course of my research, but not Prehistoric Pets. Thanks! I’ll check them out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced