• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

F/T chicks

Myteguclarice

Hello! My 1st post. Anyone having issues getting their tegu to eat f/t baby chicks? Dexter is a big boy, a titanium about 15-18 months old. He's been blind since hatching. Breeder said likely due to size and incubation issues (all other hatchlings were fine). He was a huge egg and his dad & uncle are also atypically large. Anyway, he has only eaten 1 chick and won't eat any others. He's a voracious eater and eats mice, rats, hammies, ground turkey, and organ meats like they're free but just carries the chicks around and leaves them in the cool side of his house. They appear to be small enough as the rats and hamsters are bigger and no problem. Is it the down feathers? I've got better things to do than pluck a chick. I have a bunch of them... Any ideas?

Dylan koch

It could be a huge list of things.. some tegus are just picky! He could not like the taste or ect. Chicks can be smelly nast things lol. When mine have ate them the smell when they popped them n juices squirted out were nasty

got11

5 Year Member
Hello! My 1st post. Anyone having issues getting their tegu to eat f/t baby chicks? Dexter is a big boy, a titanium about 15-18 months old. He's been blind since hatching. Breeder said likely due to size and incubation issues (all other hatchlings were fine). He was a huge egg and his dad & uncle are also atypically large. Anyway, he has only eaten 1 chick and won't eat any others. He's a voracious eater and eats mice, rats, hammies, ground turkey, and organ meats like they're free but just carries the chicks around and leaves them in the cool side of his house. They appear to be small enough as the rats and hamsters are bigger and no problem. Is it the down feathers? I've got better things to do than pluck a chick. I have a bunch of them... Any ideas?
Place the chicks in the food bowl WITH the rest of the food and let it just play out from there

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Not being a smart aleck.......I would never bother with the chicks if he eats everything else you described! He's a brute, and knows what he wants. My beast won't touch bugs, or fruit or veggies at all. I have to hide them in ground turkey if I want him to have them.

Nice of you to take on a blind Tegu.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced