• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Enclosure & Bonding

Sam

I recently purchased a Chacoan Tegu female hatchling (14"). I've been keeping her in a 55 which works for now because she can burrow. However, she will soon be getting big and I have the mind to build a 6.5Lx3Hx3W. Will that be comfortable enough for her? Also, may I see pictures of enlcosures. Is a constant free roam with a constant heat source be wrong? Any and all advice is much appreciated! And sound advice on bonding tips would be greatly appreciated!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome Sam. You're smart to think ahead as yhey grow very fast when well-kept. Others here can best advise you on dimensions and material. Figure on a 3-4ft lizard that should easily turn around in its cage.

I do not believe that free- roam in a house is afe for lizard or house. A safe outdoor enclosure is wonderful for as long in the gear as they can take. Argiees are quick to tame. Handle her, give her a sweaty shirt of yours in her hide box, etc. you should have a responsive and inquisitive pal.

Sam

I appreciate the advice! So far all she does is go explore and come back to me to crash underneath my leg. Awesome, awesome animal. When will the big growth spurt happen? Or there abouts.

N8bub

If you're feeding appropriately for a young tegu ( think moderate daily meals) the growth spurt is now thru the 1st year

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
N8bub- If I could differ a bit in opinion, I'd say let her eat her fill each day during the big growth spurt. Also, don't forget calcium wit D3 dusted often on her food for strong bones.

thatoneguy

Check out MacGyver the lizard on youtube if you are interested in free roaming.

Here are some pictures of my enclosure
20150803_091906.jpg
20151016_081613.jpg
20150716_164540.jpg

DangerousDann

I recently purchased a Chacoan Tegu female hatchling (14"). I've been keeping her in a 55 which works for now because she can burrow. However, she will soon be getting big and I have the mind to build a 6.5Lx3Hx3W. Will that be comfortable enough for her? Also, may I see pictures of enlcosures. Is a constant free roam with a constant heat source be wrong? Any and all advice is much appreciated! And sound advice on bonding tips would be greatly appreciated!
6'5" long may be a little short if it's going to be her permanent home. Usually 8' is the standard. I'm at 8'7"x4x3 for my 5month old Chacoan male. Expect her to act a little weird when you move her to a new enclosure, mine hid for days, and he now only comes out after 8pm. Dozer eats (ground turkey with calcium and D3) every day (mostly hand fed). Hand feeding helps with bonding. Here is a pic of Dozers enclosure I built. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Walter has helped me out a lot
image.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced