• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

early brumation?

ag3nt 0rang3

after passing a calcium deposit from some mice a few weeks ago my 4 yr old Black n white has only eaten like twice and has been sleeping the entire time. once for a week, then he ate n pooped. then back to sleep now again for another 2 weeks about without eating or pooping. i know he's alive i hear him moving in his hide. any thoughts ? suggestions? should i take him to the vet ? he has lights and hot spots and shaded area. its been between 80 - 94 with a heated tile pad available as well which gets pretty hot. should i be concerned ?!?

onnie0047

What is pretty hot? Basking area heat should come from above since if I understand correctly Tegues do not feel heat that is present under their bellies. Temp in basking area should be around 115F. Below that mine tend to sleep all day

ag3nt 0rang3

Had at least 3 years now Pretty hot is 95 with it hotter in the middle due to heated tile with light shining on it too. He laid on the tile before to get warm but yes he prefers the heat lights. The temp isn’t the issue here. His behavior is. Hes just not coming out at all and it’s only July :(

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Has anything spooked him or happened to him out of the ordinary.....seams highly suspicious for this behavior to just start out of the blue after 3 years of you owning him.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
sounds to me like the pain of the prolapse has scared him..... If I was you I'd be taking him out of his hide daily and interacting with him, bathing him and offering small portions of meats as long as there is NO AGGRESSION....this will build trust and confidence back in him.

ag3nt 0rang3

Thanks ! I dug him out and he took a short bath He’s eating now. He looked rather surprised when I dug him out lol he needs to shed. There was no aggression. Waiting for him to poop now. Thanks man I was a bit unsure and scared

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No problem .... Thats what this place is for... To aid and reasure us as keepers to look after and bring these animals up the hapiest and healthyest we can....:D:D;)

ag3nt 0rang3

She still hasn’t shed. Still yellow. Been sleeping a lot but not all the time. Had her out to eat n poop every few days cuz of my work schedule. I spray her cage twice a day n keep it humid. Suggestions ?

Guman

Are you feeding whole prey? The prolapse worries me.

Could be early MBD
Dehydration
Impaction

Anyway you can soak twice a day? It helps so much to increase water, aid in BM, and keep vent clean. I noticed on my guy when he was prolapsing that if vent was not clean he would not try to reduce prolapse.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced