• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Do they like rain?

Tizzay89

So i got a green bnw. I live in alaska technically a desert. Now i can keep its cage at 60 humidity in the center of the cage probs a bit higher on cool side but the basking side not so much. Using coco husk as substrate and this stuff dries out ontop every few hours. Fogger doesnt work the room the cage is in is to cold.

My plan

I have lots of airoponic items :p
Thinking about setting up some misters in the top of the cage.
So do they like rain or not? Cuz the smallest pumps i own are inline 1200gph lol thinking a 6 port manifold 2 inuse runing single tubing with 4 bleeding back on the pump should give my 360 heads low enough pressure to just mist or slightly rain in its cage. Not that this info matters but havent seen a cage with this yet so im a bit proud be making rain atm lol

Any thoughts?

Tizzay89

Well.. hmm ill run it on the ground angle the heads to only spray at 180s n set on a timer to go on at when i no its not up. Watering substrate every other hour is hard work lol nearly done with setup. Took some birch fresh cut limbs cut to size stripped baked and notched to hold the hose in place. Now to install :)

Also if u still watching thread. It has a shed issue on very tip of tail it is very hard and just wont come off also at the base of tail but this is flaky and can be removed ez.
Any advice? Have tried warm bath already

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Alpha absolutely loves the shower/rain ...... I only have a shower in my apartment, so i bung up the drainage/plughole and put the shower on to fill up the base, I then slow it off to more of a trickle and Alpha always goes straight underneath it.

As for the stuck shed ....plenty of baths, cod liver oil in food and neosporin massaged into worrying areas.

Attachments

• 20180428_194348.jpg
    20180428_194348.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Tizzay89

Alpha absolutely loves the shower/rain ...... I only have a shower in my apartment, so i bung up the drainage/plughole and put the shower on to fill up the base, I then slow it off to more of a trickle and Alpha always goes straight underneath it.

As for the stuck shed ....plenty of baths, cod liver oil in food and neosporin massaged into worrying areas.

Cod liver oil. Ill try this. Since most cod the usa eats if from alaska it should be rather cheap here in alaska lol thnx

Tizzay89

Got a bunch on the way. Doesnt use hide to much other than to dig under. I do keep its lower sub very moist and the side it sleeps on has a heating pad. Gets very humid there. Its a cheap monistat it may very well be higher humidity than it says. Plus its 55 a foot from bottom mid cage. I dunno it seems fine only jumps around n acts like an ass when its hungry other than that it just chills under light lol.

Largelizards

Ever since I rigged a humidifier with a hose into the tank my tegu sheds with no issues. I only run it a few hours a day on and off, more when he’s shedding. I also keep his main hide that he sleeps in a little moist. He woke up yesterday with shed and by the time I got home most of it had was off except the tip of the tail, which seems to be the hardest part to shed. I rarely bath him now unlike most people and I have no issues.

Last edited:

Largelizards

More than one way to shed a tegu! Let me add that bathing can also be used in taming and trust building.

That’s what I’ve seen and heard. Perhaps I just needed to stick it out, but my gu would never stop trying to get out and I didn’t know if he was associating me with trapping I’m in the water. He would just run up my arm every time. I’ll give it another try soon, there has been a lot trust built and he has gotten very tame.

Tizzay89

For tame i just take mine out every night around 8 my time put it in a box with my day shirt n let it chill for a bit. Then i put my hand in after a bit i move the shirt n slowly pet it. Within 5 to 10 mins it sleeps in my hand.

Now to see if i was making actual progress i had my son introduce his hand. The tegu has never been around my son btw. And it had the same reaction as the first night i did this. Whiping and bolting. Son removes his hand my goes back in and nothing. I know alot of ppl say to let the tegu make the first move etc. But ive seen no negative effects of this. I can now feed by tong and pet in main enclosure after feed ;p not that this is topic but we went to tame lol this will clearly take a very long time but im happy with every inch it gives me.

Edit.
Pic u can see i ditched my main idea with notched n airlines. Pump is volume not pressure so half inch pvc works way better. Pic is right before breakfest :p

Attachments

• 20190426_120951.jpg
    20190426_120951.jpg
    922.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

James Smith

20190215_073501.jpg
I use a rain system in my enclosure for three reasons only.

1. To help keep the humidity above 75%. Your Tegu will thrive better in around 75 to 80 percent humidity.

2. To keep the substrate moist. I do not want BOGA to loose a toe, and if I allow it to get too dry my live bugs will die as well.

3. BOGA do not like the bath tub so I shower him down everyday, but he still see the bath tub, just not 3 time a week like some suggests.

Tizzay89

View attachment 13610 I use a rain system in my enclosure for three reasons only.

1. To help keep the humidity above 75%. Your Tegu will thrive better in around 75 to 80 percent humidity.

2. To keep the substrate moist. I do not want BOGA to loose a toe, and if I allow it to get too dry my live bugs will die as well.

3. BOGA do not like the bath tub so I shower him down everyday, but he still see the bath tub, just not 3 time a week like some suggests.

That right there is a nice cage.
Atm the tegu jiniki is full shed. Noticed a bit of peel last night so i turned on the oll pump soaked all the moss n went to bed. Today.. it didnt great me at the lights and 5 hours later still no jiniki.. just this long piece of shed. Found it hiding in its lil rainforest type deal of moss n over hang plants looking gross but ofc hunger for some salmon. Finger fed,the smaller the piece the softer it takes it. Now atks tongs though... lol i can live with this. Anyways few hours later shed piece by shed piece nice big pieces lil help on the toes from me and we have us a bright white head slight tinge of green back :p and ofc hungry for chicken liver.. fed by tong cuz im not touching guts lol

Ryan Welham

HELP!!
My argentine tegu has lost a couple toes and now a little bit of his tail has come off, I have been told this is cutting circulation from shedding and have been keeping his humidity between 60% & 80%, why is this still happening and is there anything else to do?

Largelizards

HELP!!
My argentine tegu has lost a couple toes and now a little bit of his tail has come off, I have been told this is cutting circulation from shedding and have been keeping his humidity between 60% & 80%, why is this still happening and is there anything else to do?
There are people who have more experience that can give tips, but in the meantime. More bathes, help rub/peel off shed especially around the toes and tail, add fish oil supplements to his food, make sure your measuring air humidity too, not just surface as is usually emphasized and that your measuring where he is actually spending time, like under basking light, which I find to be impossible to keep humid without a fogger. When he is in shed, keep it extra humid. Make sure he’s getting multivitamin supplements, eating a variety of foods, maybe add more fish to his diet too. Lastly, take him to a vet familiar with exotics/reptiles to get him checked out if you can for his sake and your piece of mind. Others might have recommendations as to lotions you can use or if any of the products that help reptiles shed are worth it, which probably wouldn’t have any negative affects and may be worth a try.

I hope this helps, all the best to you and your tegu!

Tizzay89

HELP!!

Toes are bad to lose. Mine did lose it's very tip of the tail. I got the tegu with this issue and sadly nothing could be done but let it happen. A lil trick to know is put a heating pad under the tank where it burrows. This will be normally the cool side where ofc you have a hide. Now soak that substrate hopefully u use something that holds water. When the heating pad kicks in it will make that burrow super humid so it is basically soaking every night. Dont get this confused with water logged substrate. Just super moist. Mine has walked out of its shed every time.
Fish oil some say cod but I feed mine fresh salmon as it only gets primo. :p

Edit.
Rub items. Some ppl forget about these but since I owned snakes I know they nice. Having lots of barky wood n stiff leaves will allow your tegu to rub on to remove its shed. The reptile knows what to do but you gotta provide it the things it needs. Sadly toes dont come back and this does effect quility of life. My wife has gekos and needles to say they dont have toes. They cannot climb like they are suppose to etc.

Also adding moss will help your humidity gauge could be wrong aswell. Like the other guy said basking spot may be very low while cool side super high. Using more than 1 gauge is better overall.

Last edited:

Largelizards

Toes are bad to lose. Mine did lose it's very tip of the tail. I got the tegu with this issue and sadly nothing could be done but let it happen. A lil trick to know is put a heating pad under the tank where it burrows. This will be normally the cool side where ofc you have a hide. Now soak that substrate hopefully u use something that holds water. When the heating pad kicks in it will make that burrow super humid so it is basically soaking every night. Dont get this confused with water logged substrate. Just super moist. Mine has walked out of its shed every time.
Fish oil some say cod but I feed mine fresh salmon as it only gets primo. :p

Edit.
Rub items. Some ppl forget about these but since I owned snakes I know they nice. Having lots of barky wood n stiff leaves will allow your tegu to rub on to remove its shed. The reptile knows what to do but you gotta provide it the things it needs. Sadly toes dont come back and this does effect quility of life. My wife has gekos and needles to say they dont have toes. They cannot climb like they are suppose to etc.

Also adding moss will help your humidity gauge could be wrong aswell. Like the other guy said basking spot may be very low while cool side super high. Using more than 1 gauge is better overall.

The heating pad tip sounds like a good idea. Mine burrows under the tile below basking spot and I lift it up and mist it to keep it humid. I also have a CHE I put over it at night that is on a dimmer so I can regulate temp very closely (not too cold, definitely not too hot for night temp drop) I sleep with ac on so room gets cold.

Largelizards

Also creating a humid hide where it’s extremely humid is good too. Let it dry out over night, mist it good earlier in the day, and change that substrate more often.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A mid-upper 70s F hide with moistened but not damp long sphagnum is ideal for several reasons.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602