• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Do tegus stop rating during shedding time?

1800ohbae

Hi, i'm from Brazil and I rescued a baby black and white Argentine tegu with neurologic problems weeks ago. He refused every kind of solid food besides can cat food and we are feeding the baby with egg mixed with calcium powder/vitamin and the cat food too.
He is 2 months old and had his first shedding during this week and have old skin only on this toes (we are soaking him in warm water to help with this issue) but started refusing food and i dont know why
He is also very very sleepy, we tought It could be the medicines that we gave him
Here in south hemisfere the seasons are in another order. We are in the end of summer now. Can It be brumation? He is so young, do they do this at an early age?

TripleTegus

You definitely have a lot of variables going on there. It could be a number of things really but the brumation is possible. We have a couple hatchlings right now and they are definitely brumating. I don't know what meds u gave him but it could also be possible that out is upsetting his stomach. Sorry to hear about your troubles and best of luck to ya.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes, lots of confounding variables. What is the basking light temperature on or near the floor of his enclosure? also, does he have a cooler area?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744