• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Do Tegus like being scratched?

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
Haha I have been trying mine out and trying to scratch his back or under his chin when hes running around and it kinda seems like he likes it for a second and then he just doesn't want me touching him anymore. So I was wondering if any of your tegus like it or if thats just somthing really annoying you can do to it lol. I can't tell from the age mine is if its me or him.

AB^

5 Year Member
I dont think any reptile likes being petted,scratched etc etc.
I mean they are lizards. But im sure you'll get more anthropomorphic responses than mine.

COWHER

5 Year Member
AB^ said:
I dont think any reptile likes being petted,scratched etc etc.
I mean they are lizards. But im sure you'll get more anthropomorphic responses than mine.
Yup and here is mine... Barbossa looks like she likes it when i rub her neck.. like right behind her ears.. she closes her eyes and lifts her neck kinda like a cat does. wicked funny

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think Skeletor likes it when i scratch his back.. He stands up and pushes his back into my hand.

AB^

5 Year Member
Lexi said:
I think Skeletor likes it when i scratch his back.. He stands up and pushes his back into my hand.

Yea my argentine does that too, I read it more as agitation than "ooooh scratch harder"

AB^

5 Year Member
KoreanDeathKid said:
my tegu falls a sleep when i scratches his head gently

Yea, a lot of reptiles will close their eyes when they are overly stressed. That may or may not be the case with yours but it's an observation I have made regarding many species in which many people misinterpret this behavior.

redtail2426

5 Year Member
My guy pushes back on my hand when I pet him on his back it is just like a cat when they like were you are petting them, I would know if he didnt like it because he would definatley let me know in a different way then that he would probably scurry away or try to nip me he is not shy when it comes to letting me know he does not want or like something and I can read his body language fairly well.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Sorry guys. I gotta go with Kev on this one. Reptiles imo aren't interested in such things as much as you might think. As far as being rubbed, Apollo has crawled on me and sat still for a rub, but it was to get his shed off. I do find it funny that you guys say they arch their back when you scratch them. I do believe there is some form of appreciation and/or acceptance from them when an itch is manipulated, but uhh.. guys, if you've ever seen a WC tegu, or one that has had no human interaction, you can watch their "signs" of "GTFO". This arching is a defense mechanism

Stage 1 - Arch back and walk with body high off ground (Warning)

Stage 2 - Dancing (Best way to describe this is dancing, they begin to step in place with tail and head moving in a serpentine fashion)

Stage 3 - False Charge or Jump.

Stage 4 - Tail Whip, careful cause these are wicked

Stage 5 - The Defense Bite - agitated to the point of striking within distance. I've never seen one go after a person (not including the charge which you've all seen in those vids Bobby linked) to bite, but if in close range and upset, it's a rough bite.

redtail2426

5 Year Member
Obviously a WC tegu is going to act different then a CB tegu they have never interacted with people before and therefore dont trust them just like my tegu when I first got him did not really trust me because he did not know I was not a threat. And secondly when I pet me tegu he does not walk around with an arched back, he will arch his back were ever I am rubbing on his body and push against my hand so if I start at his head and go to his tail he will arch at his upper back and roll it down to his tail following my hand and pushing against it. If you cannot read the body language of your tegu and know what he is trying to show you then I guess you just cant tell what your tegu is trying to show you but I definately can read my tegu body language and I know when he dosnt like something because he will tail wiggle or nip or run away he has never arched his back under any other circumstances. So maybe your tegu doesnt like to be rubbed but all I can say about mine is that when I pet him he dosnt dislike it.

angelrose

5 Year Member
ditto redtail :woot my baby args will just lay there for a little while and then just get up and walk away when want to ( I have them for a month now ) as for my col. Angel (3 yrs now) she will just lay flat on her belly and let me massage the top and sides of her head, ears and rub her back for the longest time and when she has enough she will just move away :-D

Tails

5 Year Member
Mine does the back arching thing (sometimes. He doesn't do it all the time anymore). However, he does seem to LOVE being petted and scratched when he's shedding. He'll do the back arching thing a little and do like a cat does and circle around a few times for more. Then he'll walk around somewhere else to make sure I don't think he likes it too much (that's what it seems like anyways). I'll go back to reading and when he's ready he'll come back and look at me or walk on/around my legs, lol.

gebris353

5 Year Member
Well, when acting like a cat I know Juancho dont want to be scratched that way, speacially in her tail. However, when I scratch her jowls, behind her ears or over her neck, she will lay down, just like prepearing to sunbathe. So yeah, at least Juancho does like being scratched. ;)

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I'm think reptile like being scratched, but I think some might appreciate the scratch if you were helping them remove a shed that was itching them. In most circumstances though, I try not to attach human emotions to reptiles.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
shiftylarry said:
I'm think reptile like being scratched, but I think some might appreciate the scratch if you were helping them remove a shed that was itching them. In most circumstances though, I try not to attach human emotions to reptiles.

In certain cases, it may be partly applicable, but a lot of what you see is associated with or is anthropomorphism, which isn't a bad thing, unless it involves things that harm the animal. In fact, I like to encourage anthropomorphism (to an extent), as it can lead to more attention towards the details of caring for a pet.

AB^

5 Year Member
DZLife said:
shiftylarry said:

In certain cases, it may be partly applicable, but a lot of what you see is associated with or is anthropomorphism, which isn't a bad thing, unless it involves things that harm the animal. In fact, I like to encourage anthropomorphism (to an extent), as it can lead to more attention towards the details of caring for a pet.

I think it can more often leads to a well meaning owner being completeley oblivious to an animal that is not well.
I have seen this on forum after forum, time and time again.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah, I guess you're right...although it can be a good thing, more often than not it isn't...at least with newbie herpers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980