• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Do tegus have sensitive tails? Mine is jumpy when i touch his tail

Joshua Wu

He jumps whenever i touch his tail, he doesnt bite or even open his mouth, he just jumps, even if i touch it slowly, it seems like a spasm, and he stands up tall(on 4s) and starts breathing heavily, this has been going on a for around a year and he has never bitten me before, just jumpy. any advice?

Blakkdragon

My will startle sometimes when I poke his tail. Theyre definitely at least a little sensitive. At the same time I can flick it and get no response on occasions. Shrug

Dylan koch

My male blue ice 100% het hates his tail touched or messed with and when holding if his tail feels restrained he will smack me but it could just be a tegu puberty thing my other 3 tegus dont even care when I touch tails

My tegu does not like his upper tail around his back legs and just below touched and his legs and feet he will raise up when just that area is touched I think it’s a natural fear and response because if a predator attacks that’s where they are most likely to grab them . He loves his back and head massaged and I can pet his lower tail

Blakkdragon

My tegu does not like his upper tail around his back legs and just below touched and his legs and feet he will raise up when just that area is touched I think it’s a natural fear and response because if a predator attacks that’s where they are most likely to grab them . He loves his back and head massaged and I can pet his lower tail
Mine raises his tail up when I rub near the tail base. I cant tell if he likes it or not. He doesnt seem to ever be upset by it.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Mine used to be sensitive to any touching there, but as he's become more accustomed to me, he's no longer bothered with me touching him anywhere. This took a long time though. Lots of patience. How long have you had him?

Zyn

He jumps whenever i touch his tail, he doesnt bite or even open his mouth, he just jumps, even if i touch it slowly, it seems like a spasm, and he stands up tall(on 4s) and starts breathing heavily, this has been going on a for around a year and he has never bitten me before, just jumpy. any advice?
If you’re going to touch it grab it at the base they are sensitive since it’s used in many ways and they are also prone to dropping part of it if damaged

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny