• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Do tegus enjoy being pet?

ccole93

I have a three or four month old B&W. When I take him out and feed him, he finds a good place to hide in my clothes. I lightly stroke his head and he closes his eyes, appearing to relax. When I stop he wakes up and looks around and only relaxes again when the petting resumes. Do they like being pet or is just a reaction to something else? It's incredibly cute. Right now he's resting on my shoulder-- he won't sleep in the open.

ccole93

I figured but I didn't want to assume something like a reptile can come to enjoy human contact. Such a big difference from my snakes.

napoleone

That is the same doubt i had. Coult it possible be (closing eyes) a form of defense ? A form of showing extreme stress ? Many reptiles behave this way when they are under stress. Why tegus should be different ? How can we tell it ?

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I don't know if it's defense, but my 4 month old Extreme Giant seems to like having his head and back rubbed. If I am petting his head and then stop, he will move his head under my hand and then push his head up into my fingers like my dog does. He seems to get calm and mellow when I pet him. He also does not like when my son pets him or handles him. He seems to know one person from another. I could be wrong about all this, but this is what I have seen myself. I am no reptile psychologist, though.

MadameButterfly

james.w said:
It is more than likely a defense mechanism at his age.

^^ is closest to the truth, you have to remember that as babies Tegus are at the bottom of the food chain in their natural habitat just above eggs and baby mice so they are agressive and fast to stay alive because even birds eat them (which is why they hate being picked up from above). As they get older they get bigger and the birds that use to be their predators start to become their prey so they relax because not many birds could pick up a reptile the size of a small dog

Dana C

I think they probably do. I know that Gordo likes to relax when I am stroking him. He becomes totally relaxed and sort of pancakes on my leg, closes his eyes. Captn' Jack is not quite there yet. Both of them will shake their heads when they have had enough. Both however LOVE to have the underneath of their chins rubbed. They both seem to enjoy back rubs as well. They raise up and push against my hand when they are really into it.

Mind you Capt'n Jack is a little over a year old now and Gordo is pushing 4 or a little more.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I believe older tegus do seek attention and enjoy being pet. In the OP's case with such a young tegu, I tend to believe it is somewhat a defense mechanism.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Godzilla is three months old and loves a tail massage and chin, head and back rub

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
chitodadon said:
Godzilla is three months old and loves a tail massage and chin, head and back rub

What makes you think he "loves" it? Not arguing just wondering your reasoning behind this?

ccole93

Baby tegus are so cute but so skittish. Understandable because as was mentioned above, they're at the bottom of the food chain. I hide him in my clothes when he's out and he burrows deep down before he finally relaxes. Just think it's cute that they close their eyes when you pet them, even if it's because he thinks I'm a predator. I'm trying to show him I'm the warm, safe mammal with delicious food and new places to explore.

yulyani

i am not sure if lizards enjoy or not being pet and hold. But my 8 years tegu GOGON often approach me by himself and climbing into shoulder...(when he wants to.... not every time) I have a feeling he recognizes between peoples and he feels about affection to human, but definetely he doesn't like to be pet for always/long time perday. If he is walking freely at the home garden and we stroke and pet him soon he is walking faster to the part of heavy plant to be alone....In monitor lizards sometimes I observe they are waiting for me when I am home after working,...MJ my 2,5 years old water monitor sometimes sits at the front area of the terrarium and he is starring me when I come to him,...he likes being touch and I am thinking sometimes he can understant what I am saying to him hahahaha..........My 9 years old dumeril monitor Komo once come to me and hide between my legs when he was afraid of the strangers....but still they are different with dogs,...

ccole93

They're kind of independent like cats, which I like. My kitties would come to my for affection when they wanted it but they were quick to turn me away if they weren't in the mood.

tommylee22

Hey Dubya,

I have an Extreme and I got mine the same day you did from Bobby. You have any pics of your guy? My Biggin has gotten huge and still growing fast, he sheed again lastnight. NO sign of slowing down so far, how about yours?

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: Do tegus enjoy being pet?

james.w said:
chitodadon said:

What makes you think he "loves" it? Not arguing just wondering your reasoning behind this?

Because he comes to my hand moves his head under it and rubs his body under it if he doesn't want to.be pet he will move away if he wants to he will stay

DavidRosi

[attachment=5574]
How about a Colombian at a year old? Seems to enjoy it :)
Would have thought he'd be way past juvi defence mechanism by now

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350929907.525625.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350929907.525625.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 109

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member