• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Do savvy monitors need UVB?!

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Depending on the diet Your sav can thrive without uvb. Many long term sav owners have kept and raised them without uvb, but provided a healthy diet and proper basking temps.

Pro Exotics, one of the biggest breeders of monitor lizards, says that UVB is not required and even mentions savannah monitors: http://www.proexotics.com/care_savannah.html

katoeLAZARO

I don't use none on mine. But he does get good calcium for his bones. I put some vlcium powder on his food and give him two mice a week to get more calcium and I provide uvb light every now and then.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
UVB does not "supply" calcium... it provides a chemical or a chemical reaction that produces Vitamin D which is used in metabolizing calcium...

So if they get lots of calcium but no Vit D, then they simply do not process the calcium and suffer calcium deficiencies...

This process is true in most animals, including human beings. If the animal has very low calcium needs or if the animal has other sources of Vit D, then they can thrive with little or no UVB.

I have seen a Sav Monitor with MVB. That same Sav is not stunted, but otherwise healthy basking daily under UVB. I've heard both sides of the arguement and I've seen them living both with and without. I'm convinced they do better with UVB...

hoosier

5 Year Member
this has been a debate for quite a while between monitor keepers. some say yes, others say no with no one giving definitive evidence to prove their point one way or another. Im on the side that says yes because of natural vit D3 etc. they get it in the wild so why risk it just because they "may not" need it?

Diesel

I believe that given the proper diet, monitors can live perfectly healthy lives but can also benefit off of uvb as well. But if you dont have the best diet, then it would be a good idea to supply uvb for the monitor. Thanks guys :).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602