1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Do red tegus get more red with age?

Discussion in 'General Tegu Discussion' started by Ali peirce, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

I got a red tegu 2 months ago and wondered if it will stay this color or if it will get more red gradually? Also trying to figure out if it is actually and Argentine red tegu or crossbred? I was told it is a full red. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. EnjoysWine

EnjoysWine Member

I have a red tegu about the same age as yours. I believe yours is a full red because a cross breed wouldn't have much red at all (i.e. the tail wouldn't be as red as yours).

As I understand it, over time the distinct patterns of dark and light will become less distinct, and it will all become generally red/brownish. I dont have enough experience to say whether or not you should expect it to become bright red.
    Ali peirce likes this.
  3. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

Yeah I just see so many that are bright red. I cant tell if mine is just going to stay the color it is or change. I stupidly thought that all reds would be pretty red lol if you know what I mean. Haha. But I never had one before this.
  4. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

Ps since ours are close in age can you tell if yours is a boy or girl??
  5. EnjoysWine

EnjoysWine Member

I don't see any special looking scales around her cloaca, so I think ours is a female. But maybe she's just too young for me to tell.
    Ali peirce likes this.
  6. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

Variation. They'll redden-up with age, but the intensity will vary among individuals.
    Ali peirce likes this.
  7. nightanole

nightanole Member

IMG_20180217_142341.jpg

3 month old "female". She still looks female at 10 months, but as gotten "much" redder. Sorry no early full body pics.
    Ali peirce likes this.
  8. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

Very cute! Your's is more red then mine.