• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Do red tegus get more red with age?

Ali peirce

I got a red tegu 2 months ago and wondered if it will stay this color or if it will get more red gradually? Also trying to figure out if it is actually and Argentine red tegu or crossbred? I was told it is a full red. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20180906_132259.jpg
    20180906_132259.jpg
    977.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20180906_132233.jpg
    20180906_132233.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • 20180906_132237.jpg
    20180906_132237.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • 20180829_140018.jpg
    20180829_140018.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66

EnjoysWine

I have a red tegu about the same age as yours. I believe yours is a full red because a cross breed wouldn't have much red at all (i.e. the tail wouldn't be as red as yours).

As I understand it, over time the distinct patterns of dark and light will become less distinct, and it will all become generally red/brownish. I dont have enough experience to say whether or not you should expect it to become bright red.

Ali peirce

I have a red tegu about the same age as yours. I believe yours is a full red because a cross breed wouldn't have much red at all (i.e. the tail wouldn't be as red as yours).

As I understand it, over time the distinct patterns of dark and light will become less distinct, and it will all become generally red/brownish. I dont have enough experience to say whether or not you should expect it to become bright red.

Yeah I just see so many that are bright red. I cant tell if mine is just going to stay the color it is or change. I stupidly thought that all reds would be pretty red lol if you know what I mean. Haha. But I never had one before this.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Variation. They'll redden-up with age, but the intensity will vary among individuals.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam