• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Did anyone see this Miami Herald article about wild Tegus?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...des_has_a_new_villain_omnivorous_lizards.html

They even interview Rodney Irwin in the article. I think it's a complete shame that people feel they need to 'destroy' these animals. The fault lies with those who release captive bred tegus into the wild. They sure would save everyone a huge headache if they'd just find a decent animal shelter that can re-home these animals.

bfb345

I did read the article and I thought it was very good they didn't act as if every owner was the problem or the lizards themselves they put it on the irresponsible one. And the input of a keeper is always a good thing

bfb345

It would never had happened if people would have been responsible and take all the necessary precautions. Also if they find it too hard to care for and just release them that's irresponsible. No responsible owner of any animal would just release there animals into the wild.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've spoken with one of the agents that deals with exotics/invasives from FL Fish and Wildlife about tegus. They have a few concerns but here are three biggest. 1) Tegus are capable of significant agricultural damage because of the tendency to eat vegetation. This is a huge economic concern 2) Tegus are a threat to already threatened ground nesting animals such as burrowing owls, American Crocodiles, wood rats 3) FWC is more concerned with finding homes for pets that need rehoming than WC tegus that escaped from importers' or breeders' enclosures.

A population of tegus does not grow from released pets. It is a localized area. Did all the disgruntled owners drive to the Homestead area to release their tegus? They must have dropped them off as they were driving their pythons to the Everglades. :) Just inserting a bit of sarcastic humor, not meaning to offend anyone. :)

If trappers like Rodney can rehome them, I think it is great. (My only concern in the whole ordeal is that the animals be shipped healthy and properly as it reflects on all of us a community and it affects the life of the animal.) If tegus are euthanized in this process by FWC, to me it is right up there with the euthanasia of thousands of cats and dogs every day. It's a pity, but what is the answer? The tegus can't be allowed to just be free.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980