• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Did anyone see David Letterman Thursday night?

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Letterman had Jack Hanna on as a guest with some neat critters but the last animal was a monacled cobra. Jack's buddy, Bob Clark, brought out the cobra in a wicker basket and Jack handed Letterman a flute. Jack was acting like they were going to charm this cobra with the flutes and made the statement that the cobras just follow the movement of the flute. They uncovered the basket and that cobra had no interest in those flutes at all. Things got a little chaotic pretty quickly and Bob Clark had a lot of trouble keeping that cobra under control. Eventually Bob was just trying to get the snake back into the basket but that snake was not cooperating! Bob ended up removing it from the set in a hurry by using a hook and tailing it. It seemed like a really tense moment for Letterman and Jack Hanna, and Bob just looked a bit incompetent.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Large constrictor size always fires up the crowd, but poisonous snakes is just a dumb move. If it goes well, people think you are crazy, if it goes sour, you look like an ass. People need to choose carefully what they show in educational bits.

playlboi

5 Year Member
well said apriliarufo, well said.

i'd be worried as hell too, considering a hot snake was rampaging about the stage and the handler couldn't control it.

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
Okay. my opinion probably won't be popular, but here goes. I thought it was kind of funny, really.. Bob really does know what he's doing when it comes to snakes.. Not to mention that he's probably the most famous python breeder on the planet. I mean, seriously, if he doesn't know what he's doing around snakes then no one does. But cobras can be unpredicatable.. And it looked to me like he did fine given the situation. No one got hurt, did they? And as soon as he noticed the snake starting to get out of hand, he was trying to put it back.

Annnnd, i think there's a slight possibility that at least part of that was on purpose... They were also on Fox and Friends the next day, and it wasn't quite as crazy, but the snake still didn't seem all that cooperative(same monocled cobra, too).. So seeing something similar happen twice in a row just makes it seem like they were doing that for entertainment value. At one point they let the "Brown Haired Guy Who's Not Steve Doocy"(colbert report, anyone? anyone?) hold the snake stick with the cobra at the end(while standing up on the couch), even. I think they were trying to make it entertaining. The first time maybe it just didn't go 100% as planned. heh.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
No see this is why this forum doesn't suck. You can have an opinion, with a valid backing, and it's completely fine and should be respected. No one should have any issues with that because you are one of those folks who thinks before they try to just be cool. Respect.

COWHER

5 Year Member
lmao I didn't watch it but after that post CaseyUndead I had to.... and I have to agree with you! it was hilarious!!! I had tears in my eyes i was laughing so hard oh man that was too funny....

Beazer

5 Year Member
I would have to agree with Aprilia. I just found out an old good friend of mine died a couple weeks ago from a canebreak rattlesnake bite on the thumb. Though, I work with hots, its not the smartest move. Even if you are experienced, it takes that one mistake. Humans do make mistakes. Then if the cobra bites a guy, venomous snakes will get even more of a bad rep and right now thats the laaast thing the herp community needs at this time. May sound hypocritical from me but want to spread the word of conservation? Film/photograph venomous snakes in the wild. As far as Bob Clark and Jack.... I have no comment lol and its stayin that way.

-Jon DeLong

erk

5 Year Member
The snake was probably a venomoid (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.venomoidinc.com/">http://www.venomoidinc.com/</a><!-- m -->). Their behavior still makes reptile owners look bad, IMO.

nat

5 Year Member
wether or not it was staged, what I am worried about is the message it sent to the general public. Joe Blow doesn't know who bob clark is... or if it was possibly controlled or a venomoid. All they know is that an "expert" couldn't keep the snake controlled and that it was more luck than professonalism that kept anyone from getting hurt. If someone like Jack Hannah and Bob Clark can't keep a snake controlled then how can you expect the general public to possibly think anyone else can. That's what I am worried about.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Natalie is right. It was a stupid move. Jack Hannah is not a professional and Bob Clark lost my respect. This does nothing but hurt people's already negative stigma they hold against snake owners. Everyone's upset. There's an entire thread on it at fauna in the BOI. Lemme find the link...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108306">http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/ ... p?t=108306</a><!-- m -->

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
COWHER said:
i thought this kinda stuff only happens on Chinese t.v.

XD LMFAO I almost just died laughing at that statement....I've seen game shows when they put a highly aggresive monitor lizard in a giant glass tank, and the tank had openings along the edge (it was a circular tank) and it was basically a game of chicken....if you took your head out, you lose.....it kept on charging around at people's heads, and it was utterly hilarious, as all the contestants were japanese girls that were REALLY afraid of the lizard......
On the other hand, I found it cruel to scare the poor monitor that way....I can only imagine how stressful it must have been for the poor thing....

eddiezahra

5 Year Member
alright so i watched it, and IMO i watched it closely and to my eyes the only person who acted unprofessional was jack hannah. he was basically acting like.. well i would if someone threw a spider on my back lol... bob clarke, once again in my eyes, showed that he was undercontrol due to the circomstances but due to jack hannah's actions it made him look foolish. hannah was basically demanding bob to put it away, and telling him what to do and of course letterman was n't helping by saying he didn't want bob back b/c u know hannah and letterman go way back so it's not his fault lol. well that's my rant, in conclusion i feel bob should not be humiliated in such a manner and give him the respect he deserves.

eddiezahra

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgxI4495I48&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgxI4495 ... re=related</a><!-- m -->

FIND THE BLOOPER!!! stupid hannah lol

eddiezahra

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxkYmD-Krmo&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxkYmD-K ... re=related</a><!-- m -->

another stupid video... i should start a thread lol

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'll have to admit I laughed. I'm wondering if once it seemed they were on the verge of losing controls of the snake, they were told to get off of the stage. They sure ran out in a hurry!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744