• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Definitely as smart as advertised

Sean32817

"Smart as a dog" is a pretty common phrase I read about tegus and much to my pleasant surprise, I'm discovering that Rex is beginning to understand the word "no" although the look he gives me when he acknowledges it clearly indicates he doesn't like the word.

Despite the claims of tegus not being climbers, when allowed to, Rex will always climb onto the couch and then up onto the back of it, in fact, he almost always seeks out the highest vantage point he can find.

He does occasionally try to burrow into the cushions though, resulting in a "no Rex" and me moving him but he's actually now stopping and moving on his own when I tell him "no."

That doesn't stop him from trying to burrow into a different cushion or coming back after he feels he's waited a sufficient time for "no" to no longer be valid but he's learning.

Sorry if this sounds like not news to the rest of you but after having dealt with nothing but reptiles with "reptile brains" having a pet lizard this smart and interactive is pretty amazing for me.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Honestly - it sounds somewhat typical in that they are so individual that they aren't very typical sometimes at all! There are lots of stories about different character displays that I've never seen with my own adult, but what my Skully does, is come and try to climb my leg the minute he's had enough of the day out of his home (enclosure).

They aren't afraid to climb, especially when they're young, but they aren't considered climbers that climb for cover/protection.

And those looks they give us!! They're priceless. Good story

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced