1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with tegu claws

Discussion in 'General Tegu Discussion' started by VenusAndSaturn, Aug 8, 2018 at 10:39 AM.

1. VenusAndSaturn

VenusAndSaturn Member

So how do you guys deal with their insanely sharp claws? It seems every time I hold Oreo lately she leaves me with quite a few scratches. They don't hurt too much yet but they sure do bleed.

First things that have come to mind are trimming and then heavy duty gloves so far.
    I'd like to have something to protect my skin before she gets any bigger and does more damage.
  2. rats

rats New Member 5 Year Member

We put down slate slabs (real slate rock, not the ceramic lookalike) and walking on those helps to keep the claws from being too sharp.
  3. Zyn

Zyn Active Member

I do what rat does but also some times when that’s not doing the job. I wait till he’s been sleeping and semi cooled down and clip them when he’s moving slower than normal. If I cover his head with a hoody it helps lower his stress. I’m guessing covering their eyes destresses them like say crocodiles
  4. VenusAndSaturn

VenusAndSaturn Member

Later tonight when she's sleeping I'll have to try that. I have a few flat rocks in her enclosure but it's probably not enough to truly wear them down.
    Guman likes this.
  5. VenusAndSaturn

VenusAndSaturn Member

Just tried trimming her claws and I cut the tip and it started bleeding. Its not a lot of blood and has seemed to stop but I'm freaked out about it and not quite sure what to do. She didn't seem to really feel it.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018 at 11:38 PM
  6. Zyn

Zyn Active Member

Remember they have what’s called a quick like
    Dogs cut to close to the nail bed and it’ll bleed. If it stopped it should be ok just keep an eye on it
  7. EnjoysWine

EnjoysWine Member

I trim Ruby's claws with a normal nail clipper. And yes, you have to be careful and only cut the very end - the sharp tip. It's difficult because Ruby is still very little. Once I clipped too far like you did. I could tell she felt it because she started flicking her foot. I just put some antibiotic ointment on the bleeding claw and it was fine.
  8. VenusAndSaturn

VenusAndSaturn Member

She seems to be acting fine today, last time I checked on her she was just waking up and coming out to bask.

Hopefully, if I try again I won't make her bleed. I couldn't really tell where the quick was... trimming beardie claws are so much easier.
  9. Stef_W

Stef_W New Member

You can use a nail file to round the tips with much less risk of quicking. My old tegu used to let me dremel his nails.