• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Dart frogs or newts?

cornking4

5 Year Member
I've got a 55 gallon freshwater aquarium that I've honestly grown bored of. In this world of exotics, I'm sure there's a much more decorative and colorful animal than tetras and tiger barbs. My ideas are to:

1.either sell the tank and by a front-opening vivarium for dart frogs or

2.replace the fish with newts.

My question is: What are your opinions on the two species as captives? Have any of you kept newts? What are the setups like? Do they tend to be rewarding captives?

cornking4

5 Year Member
Aren't tiger salamanders terrestrial as adults? Is there an amphibian that stays mostly aquatic throughout their life like newts?

cornking4

5 Year Member
Amphiumas are cool but they're pretty reclusive and cold-water. I live in Arizona (85 is indoor temp in summer) so is there a relatively tropical salamander?

Jefroka

5 Year Member
cornking4 said:
Aren't tiger salamanders terrestrial as adults? Is there an amphibian that stays mostly aquatic throughout their life like newts?

I still say get you a couple of tiger salamanders & trick out the aquarium to suit their needs. They are very long lived & have voracious appetites. They are not boring, most newts are.

As for frogs Pipa Pipas are very cool, if you breed them. Here's a short but cool you tube of some youngins hatchin' out: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCayq56wHSA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCayq56wHSA</a><!-- m -->

BTW, I haven't owned either but would love to one day, especially the tiger salamanders, however tigers are not legal to keep I'm pretty certain, in some states.

...Jefroka

cornking4

5 Year Member
I'd love to get a nice vivarium going for a couple of them but their temperature range is too low for me. I live in Phoenix, so during the summer the indoor temperature is around 82ish and I don't want to heat stress anybody.

lazyjr52

5 Year Member
I have'nt owned either but I think you could make a really nice set up for dart frogs. You could get supplies from here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.blackjungle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.blackjungle.com/</a><!-- m -->.

Bentley83

5 Year Member
I have 9 dart frogs and Its cool when you can set up your live viv for them. In the past I have owned newts to which were cool they were paddle-tail newts

Chris

Bentley83

5 Year Member
both but fruitflies mor eoften and i feed them like everyday and sometimes every other day bc sometimes i put alot in their vivs.

Chris

Bentley83

5 Year Member
springtails are their for them to eat and to clean up waste. Hopefully they breed quick but sometimes people will add them into their vivs I have done it a few times.

Chris

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i kept a whites dumpy tree frog for sometime i always wanted to get into darts just havnt yet they look so cool, i also had paddle tail newt cool pets though.

Beazer

5 Year Member
I am from AZ too. As long as you have air conditioning you can keep them just fine. I have quite a few buddies into them. But yeah, the electric bill is higher lol. With any animal its really better to give a varied diet so I would say springtails are definitely important in the diet along with fruit flies and pinhead crickets. As far as the vivarium goes, they are really rewarding to have just read read read on it cause I went through a few hundred bucks screwing up the plants lol.

If you are going to do newts, from my understanding a lot of species require water chillers here but they are definitely an awesome display animal to have around and you can let your imagination go with their set ups as well.

Also, maybe try some sort of terrestrial gecko species or small lizard species for it. Whatever you do I hope it comes out great.

-Jon DeLong

Pikey

5 Year Member
what you should get is a Hellbender

i've always wanted 1 but i cant seem to find them anywhere

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
I'd love to get a nice vivarium going for a couple of them but their temperature range is too low for me.
your right, salamaders and most newts need temps in the 70's . i was reading in an amphibian book that some people keep fire salamaders in a refrigerator or other cold place during the summer and in the aquarium in the winter.(seems like alot of trouble to me) I kept a firebelly newt and several others at room temps for years. 68-75 degrees. firebellys might be from asia so they might do better with your warm climate. the only thing I know about dart frogs is that they are tropical and natives have used them to make poison for arrows and darts.hope this helps you out, and good luck with your new herping operation.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
I know this is a reptile forum but I think I will play devils advocate :twisted: . Just a suggestion but you could keep the fish tank and just pick different fish. May I suggest the cichlid dynasty? Cichlids are hands down the most interesting freshwater fish I have ever kept. They are extremely popular and there are 100's of types to choose from depending on what your looking for. I keep both african and central american cichlids and there isn't a dull moment in the tanks ever. Constant flaring of fins, lip locking, and tons of digging! They also(depending on the type) take very good care of thier young from everything from pit spwaning to mouth brooding. I love my reptiles and they will always be first in my heart but my cichlids are a very close second!

Just a suggestion...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam