• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Crickets or Dubia;S

Diesel

hello agian, either i would like to keep dubia roaches or crickets. I can get 1000 crickets for like $10 so it would be easy to get a good start. Can anyone tell me how to keep crickets and if they are way hard to keep and breed compared to dubia roaches. Give any opinions you have have! :) Thank you to everyone!

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Go dubia dude! Crickets stink and are harder to breed, roaches are easier to maintain,they don't climb,no noise, make better breeders and best of all do not stink!

Roaches are also healthier.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Crickets are much harder to keep and breed, dubias are overall the better choice betwwen the 2, with crickets you MuST provide animal protein otherwise they will eat each other, i did keep crix a few times, my setup was a 10 gal, i used topsoil/sprhagum moss substrate and a small heat pad, and a few egg cartons( the cardboard types) for hides, fed them daily, water was supplied using a moist sponge in a very shallow dish, i would lightly mist them a few times, only got babies like 2 times, i started with about 100 crix, imma try dubias when i decide to get back into beardies, a buddy of mines keep/breed them for his reptiles and they always got egg sacs and lil babies running around

Diesel

i do not care about the smell of them lol. but dubias are exspensive and it will be like 1 year before i could start feeding them off! the crickets i could start feeding right away

got10

Roaches ALL the way . Crickets die way to soon before you get to feed them off ,they stink they are noisy and they don't have any nutrition unless you gutload the hell out of them.

Diesel

lol everyone hates crickets huh?.. it sucks i just want to be able to feed them off right away and 1000 seems like a lot better of a number than 100

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
With 1000 crix you would be able to feed off a few hundred, just make sure you gutload em and coat em with calcium powder, i dont hate the persay ust dont want to try breeding them again lol

Diesel

yeah and its a whole lot cheaper i could feed them off. maybe if i continue to buy crickets every few months and not breed them. Could anyone tell me the best way to keep them alive since they die so easy. if they are already adult how long could i keep them alive. again.. thank you guys so much!! im just sick of buying food for them i just wanna have a nice colony so i can grab some from there and it be cheaper and easier :)

adam1120

I have done both right now I'm doin Dubias not sure if I am suppse to see the egg sacks but I started with 15 female and 4males been like 3 weeks and so far got around 200 babys but if got that deal I would go with crickets lol just to feed them quicker but I perfer my dragons eat Dubias to me seems they like them better:D so I'm doin it for them and its way easier and they don't smell unless u put ur nose up to there bin but mostly smells like dog food lol I never had any dead crickets when I put ALOT of water crystals in there I cut off the bottom of a water gallon its has texture to it so the crickets can get in and out I use the same for my dubias. also dog food and fresh food Change out every 3 days

Diesel

wow... 15 females + 3 weeks= 200 babies :) that makes me happy i am getting this deal!! that convinced me :) thank you!! it only takes like 5 months for them to mature and be full grown :) so in one year i beleive i will have millions lol. I sure hope it works out that well thank you so much.

adam1120

Idk I keep my temps high around 100 and the babies mature very fast so far if feed alot some people say to separate them cus they fight for food but then again they eat the moms poop so I leave them in there. There all growing pretty fast yes i hope I have that many soon beardie love them u can tell. Make sure ur beardie eat them first lol don't want a year project ruined lol u can get the heat pad at cvs heats up to 90ish on low never turns off and only 17 and triple the size of a 60 dollar one at a local pet shop and water crystals get them at ur hardware shop there call moist crystals used for plants and stuff 12 dollars instead 20 u pay online things.. things people never told me when I ask for help lol:D

Diesel

wow. well i was planning on getting a heat light for them instead of a heat pad because it just seems that a heat bad wouldnt bring up the temps much in the bin?.. i've never used one so i was not sure i was thinking about a 75 watt red bulb. and also i was just gonna let tehm get their water from fruits i will put in there! i heard that was enough and crystals are almost a waste. however i will get a bag anyway thanks for the advice. and im pretty sure my beardie will eat them! he eats anything, like seriously i gave him a small bite of pizza because he was mean buggin me so i let him have some. (dont worry this was a one time thing) lol and my gecko already likes roaches and my tegu eats dubias a lot so i am pretty positive its a safe investment :) if not i'll sell them for even more.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam