• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cracks in tail and im worried.

Ted

My Argentine black and white (about a year and a half old) is in shed, and after his bath and after he was dry, I decided to slowly take off the parts of shed that were loose, and I noticed a small crack or, what looked like it. Running down his tail vertically. I've wanted a tegu since I was 8 and, for the past 3 months hes been so amazing, I don't want to see him hurt. But, I know if I get emotional I'll make mistakes. So I need some advice. His basking temp is about 114 degrees Fahrenheit, taken with a heat gun, and with an ambient of around 80-70, he is in a glass enclosure and I spray him down with a garden sprayer filled with clean water, he has a large bowl and is in a glass enclosure that's about double his length filled with about 4 inches of mulch and bark, I feed him various meats, pinkie mice every week, usually feeding him crickets dusted with calcium daily and various fruits and veggies, although he only really goes nuts over repashy gecko diet (only fed as a treat about twice a month), black berries and blueberries. I'm gonna get some mineral oil to rub his tail after baths and am also gonna bathe him more often, I usually only bathe him once or twice a week. If that. I'll change to once a day. Sorry its so long, I just want to throw out aaaaalll of the info, thanks. (Photo of crack attatched)

Attachments

• 20210126_213958.jpg
    20210126_213958.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61

Zyn

Add fish oil to his diet. When soaking lather his tail in coco butter the cooking kind to hold in the moisture. This is partially humidity and diet

LizardStudent

At a year and a half he probably shouldn't be getting pinky mice, they have bet little nutritional value. I would upgrade to hoppers or rats if he can handle them, or even better feed chicks (leaner than the mice). I also think soaking every day is not necessary, once a week ish should be fine, just let him soak for a good long time when you do. Make sure he's got some oily human-grade fish in the diet too. How's the humidity in his enclosure? Do you spray once a day? Several times? A digital humidity gauge is an important tool that can help you figure out parameters that are off in situations like these

Ted

At a year and a half he probably shouldn't be getting pinky mice, they have bet little nutritional value. I would upgrade to hoppers or rats if he can handle them, or even better feed chicks (leaner than the mice). I also think soaking every day is not necessary, once a week ish should be fine, just let him soak for a good long time when you do. Make sure he's got some oily human-grade fish in the diet too. How's the humidity in his enclosure? Do you spray once a day? Several times? A digital humidity gauge is an important tool that can help you figure out parameters that are off in situations like these
A year and a half is an overestimate, he's about 11-12 months, ill upgrade to hoppers, rat pups seem a tiny bit too big for him right now. I don't really eat fish often but I'll get some the next time I'm out, and I'll make sure it's oily. I spray once or twice a day, I have a digital humidity gauge but the lid is a little weird and, I didn't want to cut holes in it. But I'll throw it in there the next time I hold him today and do that

bronzkeushio

My little guy had a very similar issue not too long ago! It was the reason I made an account on here. I did daily short soakings (along with keeping humidity and temps high) and put Neosporin WITHOUT pain relief (with pain relief is not good for the critters) all over his tail afterwards. It cleared right up in a couple of days and I haven’t had any issues since.

My Argentine black and white (about a year and a half old) is in shed, and after his bath and after he was dry, I decided to slowly take off the parts of shed that were loose, and I noticed a small crack or, what looked like it. Running down his tail vertically. I've wanted a tegu since I was 8 and, for the past 3 months hes been so amazing, I don't want to see him hurt. But, I know if I get emotional I'll make mistakes. So I need some advice. His basking temp is about 114 degrees Fahrenheit, taken with a heat gun, and with an ambient of around 80-70, he is in a glass enclosure and I spray him down with a garden sprayer filled with clean water, he has a large bowl and is in a glass enclosure that's about double his length filled with about 4 inches of mulch and bark, I feed him various meats, pinkie mice every week, usually feeding him crickets dusted with calcium daily and various fruits and veggies, although he only really goes nuts over repashy gecko diet (only fed as a treat about twice a month), black berries and blueberries. I'm gonna get some mineral oil to rub his tail after baths and am also gonna bathe him more often, I usually only bathe him once or twice a week. If that. I'll change to once a day. Sorry its so long, I just want to throw out aaaaalll of the info, thanks. (Photo of crack attatched)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980