• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Concerns abolutnie tegus’ helalth.

Lizardman256

Hello, 3 day ago i got mine half year old tegu female.She is really sweet, active and have been eating very well.But i have some concerns.She is not pooping, only the white stuff and very often like 3-4 times a day.

livvsha

You could try putting her in a warm bath with enough water so it covers her body but not her ears or nose. That makes my lizard poop. Usually 20-30 minutes I leave her in the tub for.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Agree with Livvsha warm baths work well.... If she's actually expelling clear liquid and urates, then she's got good water and the rest will most likely follow. They commonly take a few weeks to settle into their new home, so eating, pooping, and feeling secure takes time. Make sure your temps are good - too much overall heat or too much cold is dangerous, and they need a humidity of around 80%. (Basking temp should be about 105-110dg for a 6 month old - but in the next 6 months you'll be needing to increase that)

Lizardman256

Agree with Livvsha warm baths work well.... If she's actually expelling clear liquid and urates, then she's got good water and the rest will most likely follow. They commonly take a few weeks to settle into their new home, so eating, pooping, and feeling secure takes time. Make sure your temps are good - too much overall heat or too much cold is dangerous, and they need a humidity of around 80%. (Basking temp should be about 105-110dg for a 6 month old - but in the next 6 months you'll be needing to increase that)
Thank you.She pooped a 3 days ago, and is doing It every day.But i am still kind of worried about her so often urinating.She is doing It less frequent, but still pretty often.Overal she is a very sweet lizard, she now learned to climb up my arm when i open her enclosure.I have humidity and temperature right, but for some reason she is trying to escape her enclosure very badly, like destroing part of her fake rock background, the i takie her out, She is exploring and doing other stuff, whe she go back, she is calm for like 1 h and then evrything repeats itself.(Sorry for grammar, and spelling errors.I am not from english speaking country.)

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
(no worries about the english - you're doing pretty good!) Good news - I've had 2 Tegus, and they both had different "potty" routines. She's so young, I wouldn't worry, I don't think you'll ever hear someone say that urinating often is a scary thing! At 6 months, you could give her as much food as she'll take every other day now. As they become adults, I've seen mine go every other 2 days quite often.

They can throw a lot of energy around when they are very young - does she have a nice size enclosure? They really do need space, and at 6 months, I'm sure she's coming up on almost 2 ft long, right?

Don't forget you will be heading into Tegu puberty in the next 6 months or so - where they start to feel a whole different set of hormones and their growth is rapid . Plentiful food nad water is important during this time.

Last edited:

Lizardman256

(no worries about the english - you're doing pretty good!) Good news - I've had 2 Tegus, and they both had different "potty" routines. She's so young, I wouldn't worry, I don't think you'll ever hear someone say that urinating often is a scary thing! At 6 months, you could give her as much food as she'll take every other day now. As they become adults, I've seen mine go every other 2 days quite often.

They can throw a lot of energy around when they are very young - does she have a nice size enclosure? They really do need space, and at 6 months, I'm sure she's coming up on almost 2 ft long, right?

Don't forget you will be heading into Tegu puberty in the next 6 months or so - where they start to feel a whole different set of hormones and their growth is rapid . Plentiful food nad water is important during this time.
She’s close to that size, she is having, a smaler enclosure for now, mostly for easier taming(150x70x70)But i have a biger enclosure (240x85x85)Just need to ad a few things(lightning, glass, and waterproof it.I am going to add some photos of her.

Attachments

• 323DBA5F-08A2-4ECB-BB82-26264775AE1C.jpeg
    323DBA5F-08A2-4ECB-BB82-26264775AE1C.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 9D588327-82D4-458E-86FD-E0355B104540.jpeg
    9D588327-82D4-458E-86FD-E0355B104540.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 11EC3756-A224-4E97-8846-C89ADF784467.jpeg
    11EC3756-A224-4E97-8846-C89ADF784467.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Members online

No members online now.