• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Coloration

JesseB

I know babies start out with green on top, and I've seen pictures with many tegus having a brown brassy hue on top and on their heads as well, does this also lighten up or is it variable? Here's a picture as an example.

561154b2a3b8f92631250d456f790081.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

snibborsirk

It's definitely variable but I'm guessing yours will lighten up based on the brighter white highlights on its back. Who did you purchase your tegu from? Depending on the breeder you can get a good idea of your tegus adult coloration based on their breeding stock. I've raised 15 or so b&w tegus from hatchling to adulthood and have never had ones pattern darken as they aged - - a couple have stayed relatively the same with the off- White coloration but the rest all became lighter (more white) as they aged. In my experience the belly/underside coloration varies way more than the back pattern.

JesseB

Unfortunately I didn't catch the breeders info, I purchased him at Repticon from a pet shop owner. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trede

I've noticed that, at least on some areas of her, Talia gets more "brassy" looking before a shed, and when she sheds her whites get brighter. I know she's not just accumulating dirt, because bath time is a regular thing for her.

Skullson

Would love a current picture if you can share? I have the same question for my little one, and wondering if her whites will lighten up with age.

Cheers,

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've noticed that, at least on some areas of her, Talia gets more "brassy" looking before a shed, and when she sheds her whites get brighter. I know she's not just accumulating dirt, because bath time is a regular thing for her.
A good way to describe it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam