• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cohabitating tegus

Catfish#3

I have an area in my room that I plan to build en enclosure about 11x5 feet. I am going to get a tegu in a few months, and I want to know if I can cohabitate them in that space. If I can’t, what dimensions would I need? Can I keep a red and a black and white together? How soon should I put them in that space and how soon would they grow out of a 40 gallon (without brumation)?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome. No guaranteeing it, but Argentine black and whites nearly always do well together if no real size disparity. Don't know about mixed species groups.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum! I introduced a 3 month old female into my (2 yr old) adult male's enclosure with no problems. I have similar square footage as you do, or slightly bigger - but wish I had more room. I take them out about every 2 days for them to roam in a bigger space (kitchen) and get better exercise.

My male loves her, she loves him. They pile together like puppies and bask together - and there was very little adjustment if any when they were introduced. I think I saw hearts coming out of his head.

I think it calmed him down a little too. All positive responses. Like Walter1 though, I don't know about mixing any other types of lizards with them. I'd be afraid to try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602