• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Chuckwalla

ierowe

5 Year Member
Anyone know anything about chuckwalla? Temperament and stuff. Also are they even legal to own? I am in California.

Tux

5 Year Member
For an Iguanidae they are extremely well tempered, they are more likely to hide from you than anything else although males are pissy during mating season (much like any other species).

As for legality I'm not sure as they are native to California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada (as well as Mexico). I assume it would be the same as keeping a corn snake in Florida as they are native there and it is perfectly legal.

They are legal in Canada and the UK though LOL.

Rudd

5 Year Member
I lived in Apple Valley when I was a kid and would go out and catch them, keep them for a few months or years and let them go. They are very well tempered and I would let them bask on the window sil or have the run of the living room when I was home. Some nights I would throw them under the cushions of the couch where they would sleep until I brought them out the next morning. Definitely one of my favorite lizards of all time.

I believe, don't take my word for it, they are legal in CA if you have proof of them being captive bred for more than two generations. You can easily contact the Dept. of Fish and Game who will let you know the rules.

If I didn't have my hands full of Rock Iguana and other lizards and snakes I would have one of these in a heart beat. Great animals.

ierowe

5 Year Member
Cool! That sounds like a ton of fun. I may take a trip out to the desert and see what I can see, this summer.

Beazer

5 Year Member
I am not sure about Californias reptile reguations. Here in AZ we are allowed to collect and have in posession 4. As far as other species of Chucks go, they are definitely legal (some species of chucks are CITES 1 so if you buy any of the mexican species make sure they have cb certificates to that state). Though, here it is illegal to transport them across state lines or buy/trade/sell/barter them.
The care on them isn't too hard. They have been recorded basking in basking temps that exceed 135 degrees. I would definitely suggest a BIG enclosure with them as they like tons of large rocks stacked high (and VERY stable). Some challenges prestended in keeping wc chuckwallas is getting them to eat. My St. Estebans eat anything and everything lol, the male comes up to me when I am eating and always wants what I have lol. But yeah, thaw out frozen berry mixes and put them on top of greens and they usually quickly get use to eating food in captivity. Just remember to give them lots of space because they tend to stress out a lot and get nose rub. If you live in a desert/suitible climate you can set up an awesome outdoor enclosure and watch them act as a community. They are a joy to work with. Just be absolutely careful to them and the environment if you decided to collect them. They love to wedge themselves and once they are in and bload up, you will not beable to get them out without hurting them. Quick interesting fact too is, tools buy Native Americans have been found that they used to pop the air sacks in the chucks and pull em out to eat them, lol. Any other questions feel free to PM me.

Here's the salad I feed mine.
Chuckfood002.jpg

Heres my male Sauromalus varius

MSEChuck.jpg

MSEChuck2.jpg

And here's my female (the color isnt sexual dimorphism, its just variability)

FSEChuck2.jpg

-Jon DeLong

Tux

5 Year Member
Beazer said:
They love to wedge themselves and once they are in and bload up, you will not beable to get them out without hurting them.

It's a defense mechanism.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602