• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cheap blue tegus - Trustworthy?

LizardStudent

Hi all,
I'm new to the community and have been searching for a young blue tegu recently. I found an independent breeder on Morphmarket selling 2 month old blues for $150 plus shipping, which I though was a bit strange since blue tegus usually sell for closer to $400 - $450. The breeder site is called Carven Animal, based out of Tampa FL. Nothing seems illegitimate, no bad reviews or anything, the cheap price just struck me as strange. Does anyone here know if this breeder is legitimate or reputable? Seems like its just a guy starting out, but I want to be sure

rantology

Could be liquidating due to the ban? You could always ask for more/ as many details as you can get from them before purchasing. I agree that its a very low price. Personally I'd be more than happy to shovel out a bit more cash to a breeder I could be confident in... Rose City Reptiles has several clutches of blues that are hatching now and are for sale

rats

5 Year Member
These may be wild-caught tegus, like the ones sold on Tegus Only (Rodney Irwin) https://www.tegusonly.com/ (but the pictures on their site are clutches of babies, so maybe not! Plus they have "marshmallow" blue tegus for slightly more, $250)

If you do get a blue tegu from them, please let us know your experience!

BarBEE78

Hi, we just purchased a blue tegu from Carven Animal. The man was very responsive and quickly moved questions via text. He answered any questions and very timely. At the time of purchase which was last Thursday he only had 2 left, one male and one female, we choose the female. He will take cash app or Venmo but also make one available on his website if you prefer to pay that way, which we did. I think he makes them not available for purchase when he gets down to the last few so he doesn’t sell more than he has. They only mail out on Tuesdays via Fed Ex express which costs $60, he texted us and emailed us with the tracking number once he sent it out, we received her the next day by 10am in a box lined with styrofoam news paper and her in a cloth bag. She is a little over two moths and is about 16 inches long. she was very active the first day and seems to want to burrow a lot right now but has come out during the day to bask and eat some. So far she seems healthy. She was pretty mellow when first handling her from the box but then once loose in the cage she definitely got scared and panic ran all over the tank when trying to pick her up but I cant say I blame her, everything is pretty new so gotta give her a bit of time to adapt I suppose. I’ll attach some pics when she comes out of her burrow hole, lol. I just wanted to let you know they seemed legit and we did get a babyblue tegu as paid for. I also do not think they are wild at all he state he’s mailed a few hundred out. Let me know if you have anymore questions though.

Attachments

• 803D40A8-081F-4F99-8404-944BFFC2E82F.jpeg
    803D40A8-081F-4F99-8404-944BFFC2E82F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • 720138FC-1E13-4513-8AA3-5119C1B469A7.jpeg
    720138FC-1E13-4513-8AA3-5119C1B469A7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93

Zyn

They kinda look like hybrids to me. I have a 75% blue 25% bw hybid and she looked like this at that age. Was he able to supply you with photos of the parents

BarBEE78

I didn’t ask tbh. I kinda thought it was a little more BW also after looking at some pics on the internet. Idk enough. She gets a little more white after she sheds some. She’s over 3 months now and this is what she looks like now. Either way it’s been really difficult taming her, she was pretty skiddish and is now kind of warming up not running all around the tank. I picked a blue because of their size so I’m hoping I don’t end up with a monster when she’s full grown if she is indeed hybrid. Lol

Attachments

• BE0FE68C-2C53-46EF-A349-D8F6A6BA11C0.jpeg
    BE0FE68C-2C53-46EF-A349-D8F6A6BA11C0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57

Zyn

Either way she’s beautiful, my female 75% blue looks and is the size of a 100% blue and she’s going on three years old now.

Attachments

• 0B33B1B8-6A94-401A-9101-938A93EBDFF6.jpeg
    0B33B1B8-6A94-401A-9101-938A93EBDFF6.jpeg
    587 KB · Views: 59

Glostik Willy

Hi all,
I'm new to the community and have been searching for a young blue tegu recently. I found an independent breeder on Morphmarket selling 2 month old blues for $150 plus shipping, which I though was a bit strange since blue tegus usually sell for closer to $400 - $450. The breeder site is called Carven Animal, based out of Tampa FL. Nothing seems illegitimate, no bad reviews or anything, the cheap price just struck me as strange. Does anyone here know if this breeder is legitimate or reputable? Seems like its just a guy starting out, but I want to be sure

As of this week, it is illegal to own, breed or sell the tegu or the green iguana in Florida except for educational programs or existing permits. Though tegus can achieve reproductive maturity by 2 years, the tegu can grow up to 4 feet long once it hits 5 years old.Jul 1, 2020 i wiuld not buy any from fliom Florida i noight my blue females from rose city reotile in Texas and my male silver flame from Laura Roberts I think was her name lol

LizardStudent

As of this week, it is illegal to own, breed or sell the tegu or the green iguana in Florida except for educational programs or existing permits. Though tegus can achieve reproductive maturity by 2 years, the tegu can grow up to 4 feet long once it hits 5 years old.Jul 1, 2020 i wiuld not buy any from fliom Florida i noight my blue females from rose city reotile in Texas and my male silver flame from Laura Roberts I think was her name lol
Yes, SB 1414 did indeed ban the sale of tegus in Florida, but since I do not live in Florida I could still technically buy a tegu from a permitted breeder in Florida without issue, since it would not be considered a sale that would stay in Florida. So I think what Rantology was saying was that some of the Florida breeders seemed to be selling off their babies online and otherwise in light of this bill passing, since they could no longer sell locally

BarBEE78

Either way she’s beautiful, my female 75% blue looks and is the size of a 100% blue and she’s going on three years old now.
So now that my tegu is 10 months old and a lot bigger than 7 months ago, do you still think she is a hybrid? Blue x BW? The pics show a tan tint to her color but she is really mostly white.

Attachments

• 6A0279CE-21C6-4C36-8EDF-0A528FCA37A7.jpeg
    6A0279CE-21C6-4C36-8EDF-0A528FCA37A7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 59C5E4FE-0DE9-40BD-89C4-2E32D56BEE44.jpeg
    59C5E4FE-0DE9-40BD-89C4-2E32D56BEE44.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 39024C8C-6A00-48FE-8410-E29F71440E8C.jpeg
    39024C8C-6A00-48FE-8410-E29F71440E8C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Hulk1

Hi all,

I would personally look else where sounds fishy. You can find blue's. All over the place by reputable breeders Like Rose City reptiles in Texas. I have personally found breeders popping up all over across from United States and there are more hobbyist then true breeders so be careful

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980