• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

cane toad

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
I want a cane toad. Does anyone have one? any tips on housing feeding ect. I alresdy know about the poison and that they eat alot. want specifics like temps,humidity ,cage size,nutrition, substrate, water dish size ect.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Seriously? I would be afraid a cane toad would poison a tegu, but I guess they do come from the same area. Still...I couldn't stomach taking the chance. :p

I kept a cane toad once. They don't require a lot of care, really. I kept it in a 20 gal tank...they do like to hop so you have give them floor space as they grow. I kept mine in a herp room that stayed in the low 80's and put in a warm pad for the winter. I kept him on moist coco and sprayed/misted daily. He also had a big soaking bowl. I fed him every 2-3 days and would eat about a dozen crickets, a few earthworms, an occasional pinky.

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
That is cool- that tegus can eat them without dying. I heard cane toads smell bad too,so im not sure if I want one,but thanks for the insight.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Bobby told me he feeds southern toads to his tegus every chance he gets and believes this helps keep parasites at bay. Not sure about cane toads.

...Jefroka

Quijibo

5 Year Member
I've had quite a few. If it's a female, I keep her in dirt substrate and mist her daily. A male requires more water, usually a shallow pan, he'll rarely leave it.
They like it warm. You'll know when they are warm enough, they'll eat like pigs. They like it in the 80's during the day and the low to mid 70's at night. A 20 long is fine for an adult. They are pretty good jumpers so a secure top is a must on a 20 long.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980